Statement: The Future of Stratovarius by Timo Tolkki

WildChild89

Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
I am in the process of talking seriously with each band member about the future of Stratovarius.

There are lots of rumours circling around and this statement is issued to clear some of those.

The band is in a severe crisis at the moment.

Looking back now, it is very clear to me why the situation has catapulted into crisis.

I have my own way to lead Stratovarius and since being in this band since 84 (almost 20 years) I have had a very clear vision about the musical direction of Strato. To put it short and simple, this is my band.
I decide what Stratovarius sounds like. Stylists might decide how Stratovarius looks like. I don´t give a fuck about that though, I love music and we are not some fucking Backstreet Boys. We eat metal and shit chains.

Before some of you start shouting "dictator", I would like to tell you that we have always shared the income from the band equally. Everyone gets the same from all income. I can tell you many bands when it´s not like this.

Up until very last weeks I though things were fine, there have been arguments, but nothing fancy. At this point I feel that my vision of where to take Stratovarius next is threatened. Along with many other things, which I cannot tell you due to legal reasons. Let me just say this: when the things get so heated that some people in the band enter into fistfight, then something is wrong, wouldn´t you agree?

I am talking with Kotipelto and Kainulainen here in Finland at the moment and next week I fly to New York to talk to Johansson. Then I fly to Germany to talk to Michael. And then I have to think.

So you guys have to wait for some more time for some more news.

At this point it seems 95% sure that 3 bandmembers have to leave. I really hope I can work things out with them, but if not, then they will have to go.

And to those who say I should leave Stratovarius I say, hmmm well, perhaps it´s better that I don´t say anything, so I just say Fuck Off! I am not leaving anywhere, we just signed this new deal and I am going to continue writing new songs and there will be more albums, no matter what the line up
will be.

Stay tuned for more...

:cry:

:OMG: fistfighting???? that's sad. Last time I saw them live they seemed to enjoy it so much... they surely did.. what can have happened... :(
Can't help thinking he sounds like a superior asshole, tho... and even if the others get as much money as Tolkki, he seems to believe the whole project is his...
What the hell.... Strato with another line up will not be strato...

And just before this, the are telling that how well they are doing :ill:
This is so fucking sad, I wish and hope that they can make a compromise!
Stratovarius is not the same, if Kotipelto leaves! I just cant belive it!:cry:

I'm quite sure that those 3 are TK, Jörg and Jens.
At least TK has made an awesome solo album and I hope he'll keep on doing the same kind of music if he has to leave Strato.

And again, needless to say, what I think about mr. TT... :rolleyes:

Wow. Kinda sad. The latest albums have been nothing but big piles of shit, though. If three guys leave I see no reason why they should continue as Stratovarius.. Give me a break.

The_Children_of_Decadence said:
Almost same here... Thinking 'bout who's gonna stay. Everybody has some projects except JK, but i vote Jörg...
Well JK's played for Warmen but I don't think he could make his living off of that (at least not yet :D )

WTF imagine Strato without TK and Jens... That sth else, but certainly not Strato, even tho they'd had the right to play their old songs live...
I won't attend any Strato gig if it becomes a TT wanking act...

WildChild89 said:
I love music and we are not some fucking Backstreet Boys. We eat metal and shit chains.
ROFL, gimmie a break Mr. Metalbaron :lol: :lol: If somebody from Destruction or from Carpathian Forest would say this I'd believe. But Timo should check out THEIR music, its a happy metal. (which I dont mind, simetimes I also listen to it, but geez... to talk like a friggin' next Abbath is just hilarious)

Oh, and he wants to fire Jens? Jörg? Well, I'm curious where will he find such talented musicians again.

what the hell? stratovarius was my favourite band when i was 15. their last cd i played it once and had to control myself not to throw it in the trash. but thats AWFUL, he should be happy bandmembers want to take the band in a different direction, because the one they have now (and have had for the last 20 years) got old ages ago.