Station Format Changing ?

beyondnerd

New Metal Member
Nov 22, 2004
Schnecksville, PA
There was a small discussion on the tag board today about the station playing more classic prog rock (e.g. Pink Floyd).
Chan, I know in the past you had said you wanted the station to focus on mostly Prog metal since there were other stations to satisfy the needs of the prog rockers. Have you decided to broaden the staions playlist to include more prog rock?
I'm wondering how people feel about this. I always liked the fact that the station has been somewhat specific in it's playlist with some exceptions (e.g. The Flower Kings ;) ), when I tuned in I pretty much new what to expect. I'm not opposed to mixing it up a bit (especially if I see Kansas join the playlist) but I think there are some merits to specialization and I'm curious to what other people are thinking.

I think that the variety is good - too much of one thing gets tiring after a while. I'd love to hear some old Kansas, Yes, ELP, Focus, Alan Parsons, etc. I do like the new stuff though too and I love that this station is right on the cusp of new materials like Pyramaze, AtmosFear, Cea Serin, Dreamscape, etc.

Don't Change !!! I can handle more of the classic prog rock stuff but I like the Station as is maybe more of the newer prog metal indie relases. THE STATION ROCKS!!!!!

RAW-KON !!!!

Pinkeisch said:
I think that the variety is good - too much of one thing gets tiring after a while.

I agree with the idea that variety is good and in the past when I wanted to hear something other than prog metal I'd pop in a cd or switch to another station. Most of the time while at work I want to hear Prog metal and I always new I could count on the station for that. One of the things I've always liked about the station is the new bands that it has turned me onto. As far as the classic stuff is concerned I'm pretty much aware of what's out there (with I few exceptions, I gotta check out more Marillion!).
Yeah I like variety but I like it when I want it (the control freak in me). In any case I'm (as always) deeply appreciative of Chan's hard work and as other's have said it's his station he should do what he wants.
I also realize that just as the station has been responsible for making me aware of dozens of newer bands, by adding classic stuff to the playlist it may turn some of our younger prog head friends onto the forefathers of prog metal. I'm sure there are some young Sx fans who have never listened to Kansas and when they do will be blown away. Maybe the station should consider having some blocks for classic stuff and some blocks for cutting edge artists.

Progged is, without a doubt, the best station out there! I seldom hear music that I don't like on Progged, which is unusual. But there is one glaring omission in the Progged playlist - a discussion that Chan and CQ have had before, but as there is a suggestion that Progged may be expanding its horizons, I absolutely HAVE to put again the case for

TOOL!

:p

Hi Chan :wave:

:tickled:

I like things the way they are. I listen to ProggedRadio to hear new prog metal CDs that I've never heard before so I know which ones I want to buy. The only prog rock I might want to listen to would be new CDs that have been released. If I want to listen to old prog rock I'll tune in some other station.

I for one am somewhat disappointed with the posting of old prog such as Pink Floyd, Genesis, and others. Where's the Kansas stuff now? -- just venting.

I've been listening to proggedradio for several years now and the MAIN reason I stayed with it is because it was focused at playing the newest in prog rock/metal. I've listened to several other internet radio stations over the years and they all do the same thing -- play old and new --- I don't like this mix. Now it seems Chan has moved his proggedradio to the mainstream and just becoming yet "another" radio stream like the rest. Bad move in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pink Floyd, I just didnt' want it played here on proggedradio. There are so many bands (and very good ones) out there that could be here on proggedradio BEFORE POSTING OLDIES. Just sorry the station is opening up it's "mix". Just sad and I hate to see this.

I'll be tuning in less now --

Sorry if this is a repeat -- still learning how to post in this forum for the first time ---

I for one am somewhat disappointed with the posting of old prog such as Pink Floyd, Genesis, and others. Where's the Kansas stuff now? -- just venting.

I've been listening to proggedradio for several years now and the MAIN reason I stayed with it is because it was focused at playing the newest in prog rock/metal. I've listened to several other internet radio stations over the years and they all do the same thing -- play old and new --- I don't like this mix. Now it seems Chan has moved his proggedradio to the mainstream and just becoming yet "another" radio stream like the rest. Bad move in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pink Floyd, I just didnt' want it played here on proggedradio. There are so many bands (and very good ones) out there that could be here on proggedradio BEFORE POSTING OLDIES. Just sorry the station is opening up it's "mix". Just sad and I hate to see this.

I'll be tuning in less now -- :confused:

I'm tuning in the last few days and it seems like pretty much the same old station to me. There's been a few old Genesis tunes playing but for the most part it's been prog and prog metal all the way. I think there was a rush to play all of the new music earlier this week, and now it's fallen back to pretty much the request 'norm'. I find the Genesis interesting to hear when it does play as I'm really not familiar with the old stuff. It doesn't bother me in the least, but I think Chan needs to be careful about not adding TOO much of the old classic material where it could cause a major paradigm shift in the audience and general programming format.

I guess... (and i've been listening to the station sonce about 3 years now).. that is really good for the station to have a variety on its format:Spin:.. yes many ppl likes the station for the new stuff.. but well at least my case.. and i only talk about my case.. I like.. actually LOVE the old stuff too.. (as well as the new).. and is great for me that i can be able to listen to Gentle Giant... this is an album i haven't listened before.. as well as Happy The Man.. and many other "old" bands..

I think Progged is not only about Prog metal.. maybe Chan focused on it.. but as the promo said (and is what I like from the station):
Your source for Progressive, Rock and Metal
... .. and not only new bands.. I've listened here bands that are not so new.. for example Discipline.. I thought they were new.. but they aren´t..i've heard about Porcupine Tree and could be able to listen to it here in the station (and Porcupine is not progmetal!).. and also I could have lots more of the Flower Kings than i could have heard anywhere else.. (and i´m sure i'm forgetting many more bands)

and I think about what actually progressive actually means: changes, progression, advance, avant garde, different, the brain on music, hybrids, variety... etc etc etc... :worship:

Also has been good to listen to new stuff like Pyramaze, Atmosfear, etc..

but then i think.. what is the problem to listen to some Enchant, then Genesis, and then Opeth?.. that is I think what makes this station so good...

I know some ppl who has left the station because it was too repetitive.. and moved to other stations.. (like Morow).. because they play old stuff.. but i like much more Progged because here we have the chance to REQUEST what we want to listen... and i guess right now we have much more chances to listen what we like and get to know what other ppl like, or get to know bands or "prog styles" we could have never known about before..

I also want to give Chan a big THANK YOU for keeping the station on and great as it is.. and I also want to thank to all of us-from this side of the station- who are keeping the station supported, and the guys who have been so open hearted to send to Chan all the new music to the station (Pinkie, Howdy, Bucky and sorry if i miss someone else!)...

So at the end the site is not only Chan's site.. is actually each one of us site.. because with the support, tuning it (amount of listeners worldwide), music database increasing, post forums increasing, and local tag board always running with great company, have made us all like a big family... where -at least myself- feel always welcome.. its like the big family of prog..

keep rocking!
:headbang: :hotjump:

I won't give a complete rebuttal to the dissertation that Van did, but the point is well taken. The site does say "your source of progressive, rock and metal". Use of the word "Source" implies to me that one would expect to see the "fathers (and mothers)" of prog rock/metal represented.

Agree with Pinkiesch -- I would simply vote to keep the quota on oldie Prog to a minimum. The plethora of new progressive bands not included on proggedradio that are out there is simply amazing and focusing more on that avenue is more appealing to me than bringing in the old. Again, it's just my opinion.

Chan still has the best site so far. Changes are coming.

Prog on.

... Well, this has been an ongoing thread since the dawn of this station as to which songs belong on here. If I had my way, EVERY prog song would be on my playlist from the earliest art rock to the latest 'fist in the air' prog metal epic. I would also have every jazz fusion or funk fusion in my arsenal as well. But that's not possible or I would be divorsed and bankrupt... The format will never change other than the fact that the library will continue to grow. I have and will remain a mainly "melodic metal" format, but I am going to be adding all of the prog rock genre that people donate. When I first started, I planned on having a 3-4 song block that was called "trace your prog roots" and It will eventually be on the station. You can check the playlist guys - the only time the older traditional prog rock will become rampant is when it is requested to death.

If some of you guys want to move on to another station, there are several out there - you just wont find the variety and focus you have here at Progged Radio.

I also want to thank the people for the major influx of cd donations. The station had a wonderful Christmas! :headbang:

I respect bm's opinion. He's a great tagger. OTOH, I agree with Van that a little bit of the old classics could spice up the station without changing the character of the station substantially. Count me in as one who would like to hear a little bit of Kansas, Genesis, PFM, Yes, ELP, Parsons, Styx, UK, Metallica, and Floyd with all of the terrific new stuff- emphasis on little bit. We all come here primarily because of the melodic metal emphasis, so I doubt that the majority of the core listeners of the station will want a major change in emphasis, or that they will flood the request board with 25 year old prog tunes.

Thanks to Chan for a great unique station. :Spin:

BTW, I am Buckminsterfullerene.

LOL bucky... your whole nickname is so darn funny..

well Chan u just said it.. and again i say: you have the best radio station out there :p

:headbang: :worship:

bmangold said:
Now it seems Chan has moved his proggedradio to the mainstream and just becoming yet "another" radio stream like the rest. Bad move in my opinion.

Yeah I heard Hillary Duff and Ashley Simpson are going into Heavy rotation in February. :p

Mainstream ? Gimme a break!

Well, another discussion of this broke out on the tag board yesterday, and I think I'll kindly lay down my thoughts here.

To me, the thing that separates this station from any other alternative is the heavy fraction of "post- Images and Words" Progressive METAL.

I have been listening to the station for about 3-4 years, but starting tagging a lot during the last 12-15 months. Many of the people I have "met" on the board have turned me on to a lot of great music..and of course, Chan is to thank for this as well.

However, the #1 thing in 2000-2001 that made me go "Wow.. I should listen to this station".. is that when I looked through the playlist, the heavy proportion of "older" prog I saw was Rush and Queensryche.. and that matched by personal tracing of the history of progressive metal. Yes, I know there were progessive bands that played hard music before Rush, but people.. Rush changed things and created things that frankly, are unmatched by any other band carrying the label "progressive". A heavy, heavy fraction of progessive metal can and should be traced to the influence of Rush.

To me, adding Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Kansas, and others serves to dilute the very edge that this station has over its competition. Its not that these bands aren't historically important and don't create some good vibe - to claim so would be assanine - however, there is SO MUCH current progessive hard rock and metal to hear.. that we should go FORWARD.. its the very nature of the word "progessive".

Chan is probably right.. the only way that the "old fathers" of prog get played in heavy rotation will be when the listeners request them over and over and over. If that happens, I'll probably listen less. On the other hand, i'd be willing to bet that the station will and has gained WAY more listeners by having an incredible selection of current progessive hard rock and metal than it will gain by adding classic progessive bands to the mix.. and that should not be just brushed under the table. How many tags are posted where someone says.. "Wow.. who was that?" .. and then they learn about a new band. Any successful entity should ask itself how it got successful and then continue doing that thing better and better and better.. that "thing" for this station is "cutting-edge progressive hard rock and metal" - not classic prog.

In my opinion, to continue to be great and get even better.. the station MUST continue to offer the freshed and widest selection of progessive HARD rock and METAL.. its the ace-in-the-hole that no other online radio station can match. We should play to our strength.

Chan, I respect you greatly..and I would not want to end this post without a heartfelt thanks for all you do for the station.. I don't think any of us truly understand how much work you put in to make this station so great.. and let me be clear.. the station is GREAT.... I owe you a great debt for the music I have been exposed to. But, given my tastes for Rush-inspired hard progessive rock and passion for progessive metal if as you say

"EVERY prog song would be on my playlist from the earliest art rock to the latest 'fist in the air' prog metal epic. I would also have every jazz fusion or funk fusion in my arsenal as well"

..if all that were here.. well, I'd respect that decision, because you drive the train.. but the CD player at work and home would get way more use that it currently does.

Respectfully,
ProgProf

Gents,

Like I have said, I would like to have the mentioned material on the playlist - Hell ALL OF it... :D But, This station has and will always focus on the harder edge of progressive music as well as melodic/symphonic/epic/power metal. It's *MY* favorite, and will remain the key to this station. I have only recently (in the last 5-10 years) broadened my tastes to fusion (specifically guitar shredding fusion) and older "traditional" prog. The technicallity (is that a word) of the genres in the past are what drive TODAY's music that I like, and have decided on expanding to that taste.

I will state this now however, if it comes to a point where the traditional prog overides my vision of what this station is to be or become by requests, that material will end up on my personal library, and be removed from the station - or requests will become a limitted aspect... Period. This station will always remain on the harder edge of prog.

I hope the majority of you guys see where I am coming from on this...

I thought so Chan -- you prog dude.

appreciate what you do for the station, regardless of what others may want.

Still number one here man

Sounds like some people are just a little too full of themselves. Rush was inspired by somebody, right? Why not go back to the beginning? If you don't want to listen to it, then tune out.