Steel Prophet Forum @ UM!

I believe they stand above the average American Power Metal band (Cage, Premonition, Imagika, Prototype, New Eden, Destiny's End, etc). And no they are not on the Europower side either.
Sometimes describing SP is difficult for me, they are very classic influenced, especially towards the beginning by Iron Maiden. They also have a strong bond with the doom of Solitude Aeturnus in some songs.

The highlight of the band had been his former vocalist Rick Mythiasin (also in Taraxacum). Nevertheless their last album "Beware" shines on its own value with the new guy D'Priest.

Check some music links here:

http://214413.homepagemodules.de/t466611f11782045__STEEL_PROPHET_bieten_MPs_an.html

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/card/0,,854519,00.html

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
So what is Steel Prophet like? I googled them and found some extremely varying opinions. Many called it progressive...that piques my interest. I've heard comparisons to old Fates Warning...but is that John Arch-era Fates or Parallells-era Fates? I like the JA stuff, but after he left I lost interest.

Same here. I am a total John Arch nut! So I am happy to tell you that in some songs they definatly remind me of Fates with John Arch.

In fact on their "Dark Hallucinations" album they do a wonderful cover version of "The Apparition". I'd say check them out!

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
So what is Steel Prophet like?

I can't think of a more difficult band to try and explain. Their former vocalist, Rick Mythiasin was very expressive in his style and in fact, was able to sing with several types of styles without really sounding "like" anyone else. They were quite talented musically as well with some very nice guitar work and considered powermetal, but not the typical "euro-power" style. As far as the Fates Warning comparison, it is not very far off. Mythiasin SOUNDS quite similar to whoever he uis singing. SP did a DIo/Sabbath cover, Maiden Cover, Fates warning cover and Rick sounds great on all of them. He even uses a "child-like" voice sometimes that is fairly comparable to Geff Tate's style in the "Suite SIster Mary" song. If for no other reason, SP had an incredible vocalist. The biggest downfall of them is that many of there releases were spotty in my opinion.

Bryant

Thanks for your observations guys, it certainly is appreciated. Especially Wyvern for providing links to some song samples! I really like what I hear. I think I'm gonna pick me up a copy of the Dark Hallucinations album on my next haul.

Anyone with enough class to do a cover version of the Apparition has to be good. :D

UPDATE: Blabblermouth striked again! :Smug: They revealed who the new SP vox is... I made a thread about it on the SP forum

:yell: Guess that's why they call it Blabbermouth... 100% suitable name