Steinar Gundersen's Guitars

flexable said:
From the video clip I saw, it sounded quite boring because it was just scale exercises up and down. But fast for sure. Btw, the guitar he used on that clip(rusty-shredcam.mov) looks just like mine, except I have different pickups.

well i don't know about the one you saw... but if it's all scales and modes... then, yeah, it will be boring obviously... to really enjoy Rusty... not really enjoy... but wonder how crazy this guy is... you will mostly be benefitted by checking out, in your case Andreas, the 8 string videoclips... really cool stuff... they are: 8 string Solo Fall 2003 & 8 string Solo fall 2003 # 2.
To see & enjoy Rusty sweeping the whole fretboard effortlessly (live in concert), check out this one: Revolution Live 1991 (broadband)
If you want to go like "what the F*ck"!!! check out: JemFest Video 1 ... serious speed. At the end of it, you just gotta laugh and say DAMN!!!
and finally, to check out one of the songs he wrote for his solo album, check out: Under the Influence 2002 (broadband) ... mostly shredding... but you get to appreciate some of the techniques plus the immense speed he uses!!!
You will enjoy Rusty Cooley if, in my opinion, you watch all these... if you don't enjoy him after watching these, then shredding is just not the thing for you :p ...Enjoy :)

Etter said:
you mean a warr guitar!

phazebrawide.gif

damn, you'd need 25cm fingers to play that thing.

im thinking of getting a strat. =)

Steinar definitely used a PRS on the album. I think it was red. There was also a blue one at the studio he might have played on something as well. I know he didn't use the brown one though..

What's Oyvind doing in Stockholm?

:hotjump:

Neil K.

Hieronimus said:
Look, Carl from Winds shreds as well, but that's interesting shred-stuff, not this kind of bullocks...

Never heard of Winds!! are they good ?? do they have a website... if yes... give it to me so that i may check them out to see if they're any good... + to see this shredder of yours, Carl !!

Winds is amazing. They're a band formed up by members of Age of Silence with the godly Hellhammer on drums. Hellhammer is the best drummer hailing out of Norway along with Asgeir in my opinion. I was listening to the new Arcturus last night and he simply rules!

Check http://www.winds.ws/index2.php for more info.

NP: Solefald - Red for Fire: An Icelandic Odyssey Part I

Etter said:
i beleave that it is played somewhat like tapping, so you don't need to put your hands behind the neck.

if it's played by tapping, then the warrguitar is actually a Guitar/Bass Stick... like the one Sean Malone used on "Occam's Razor"... and the one Tony Levin uses in Liquid Tension Experiment.

Dark Lord said:
if it's played by tapping, then the warrguitar is actually a Guitar/Bass Stick... like the one Sean Malone used on "Occam's Razor"... and the one Tony Levin uses in Liquid Tension Experiment.

here you can see the bizar guy play!

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~ml732/alcoholocaustvideo.mov

and trey gun does also a very cool job... wish i could play like that o_O
http://www.warrguitars.com/quicktime/Kuma310X16012fr.mov

and here more...
http://www.warrguitars.com/video.html

Etter said:
trey gun does also a very cool job... wish i could play like that o_O
Oh alright... if Trey Gun plays the warr guitar.. then i'm sorry... i was wrong about my prior assumption that it was a bass stick... cause it's called a Touch Guitar... and Trey Gun is very famous for it... if i'm not mistaken, i think he designed it or created it or something like that :cry:
You can hear him using it on Gordian Knot's debut album (self-titled) with Sean Malone playing the stick.. Sean Reinart the drums, and Ron Jarzombek on Guitars... great lineup... plus Jon Myung plays some bass and stick as a guest on this album.... mmm.... i'm not entirely sure... but maybe Trey Gun only plays on their 2nd album "Emergent", Not on their debut, "Gordian Knot".... doesn't matter.... it's all GOOD !!! :loco:

Dark Lord said:
Oh alright... if Trey Gun plays the warr guitar.. then i'm sorry... i was wrong about my prior assumption that it was a bass stick... cause it's called a Touch Guitar... and Trey Gun is very famous for it... if i'm not mistaken, i think he designed it or created it or something like that :cry:
You can hear him using it on Gordian Knot's debut album (self-titled) with Sean Malone playing the stick.. Sean Reinart the drums, and Ron Jarzombek on Guitars... great lineup... plus Jon Myung plays some bass and stick as a guest on this album.... mmm.... i'm not entirely sure... but maybe Trey Gun only plays on their 2nd album "Emergent", Not on their debut, "Gordian Knot".... doesn't matter.... it's all GOOD !!! :loco:

i know, got the both! Sean is my favo bass player (sorry Lars, i keep on bumping in your terrory, maybe it's because i'm just jealous at your great bass skils ;) )

Etter said:
i know, got the both! Sean is my favo bass player (sorry Lars, i keep on bumping in your terrory, maybe it's because i'm just jealous at your great bass skils ;) )

Man, that’s quite alright. I dig Mr. Malone myself.

lars k norberg said:
Man, that’s quite alright. I dig Mr. Malone myself.

yep... Mr. Malone is one heck of a bass player... but i personally prefer Tony Levin. Hey Lars, how's everything going... man, I know you're busy most of the time, but i wrote a post (post #31) in the thread "Andreas Jonsson" asking you a couple of questions + a request :D ... i wish you could answer some of them cause they're pretty essential to know about ...from my point of view... + for all Spiral Architect fans :cool: ....thanx :)

Dark Lord said:
yep... Mr. Malone is one heck of a bass player... but i personally prefer Tony Levin. Hey Lars, how's everything going... man, I know you're busy most of the time, but i wrote a post (post #31) in the thread "Andreas Jonsson" asking you a couple of questions + a request :D ... i wish you could answer some of them cause they're pretty essential to know about ...from my point of view... + for all Spiral Architect fans :cool: ....thanx :)

OK - I answer them here: Asgeir pretty much said what was needed with regards to the ‘parallel octaves’, so I take it that you want me to comment on the stick-thing. First of all; I think Sean did a wonderful job last time on Occam’s Razor, and sure – I’d love to incorporate more stick in future SA-material. However, if I’m going to play it, I’d need to have one…! And as of now I don’t. I’m sorry to say that the 5 years of work put into ASU haven't paid off financially because this again sets some limits to what we can do on the next album, this whole ‘stick vs. no stick’-issue being just one example. To conclude this: Any eventual stick on the next album will be only in the form of a guest appearance, and this again will necessarily also set some limits to how much stick there will be… hypothetically speaking.

By the way – I think it’s an interesting thought what you’re saying in the same post (thread "Andreas Jonsson post #31) about harmonizing the bass. We’ve for long been talking about experimenting with things similar to this anyway. Since Oyvind being an excellent bass-player, we could probably also reproduce it live – something I think is important in any case. In that way I guess I’m pretty old fashioned.

thanx for the info Lars... though it's a shame that you might not be able to play the stick yourself... how about trying to ask Sean Malone to lend you his ?? :D
... and by the way, i'm more than honored to be of assistance to you... not that it was a revolutionary idea, the one i gave you... but this is something i've been playing and experimenting with (guitars wise) for quite some time... and i owe all this to my no. 1 guitar inspirer: James Murphy :) ... maybe you should try contacting him through Neil Kernon's connections with Nevermore... James played guest solos on one of the songs on their latest album... it's a long shot... but i know that Mr. Murphy can spice things up if you plan to get guest musicians to work with you on a certain piece of music... plus I believe that he can totally get into the role that Spiral Architect embodies, musically.