Steps for getting my first work/client

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
Hello,
So ive been dealing with mixing quite some years now, i'm also working in a studio in which we record and produce (mostly choirs though) and do some "record a birthday song etc". not working too much with bands, its a small studio.

I also have my home studio in which i track guitar and do my metal stuff.

lately i decided i feel ready to start mixing/recording other bands songs, as a job. i though i should start with small low budget bands, or even just get multitracks from them and mix them/ reamp and stuff.

but i couldnt succeed to evenget my first "client". i was wondering if you have some tips for getting that first client. i have to aim to small size projects, demo, EPS and stuff. i know i cant mix to the level of the "big guys".

Also, in my country the metal communuty is quite small. its mostly 16 years old kids who dont have the money to pay (and the skills to play), or those few big guys, which i am too noob for em.

I though of grabing lot of stems from this forum and with permission upload them as songs MIXED by me (no recorded or composed). but i dont know how you guys look at this kind of stuff here.

If someone can share his own experience i will be glad

Sell yourself. Get a website, a facebook presence, twitter, the whole thing. You need some reference material of course, so bust your ass on working on your own songs to have them as reference, and if the original uploader allows it, sure you could use some raw tracks from here to give yourself some more reference material, I'm sure some people have done it, but always ask for permission first.

About getting the first client, it can be tricky to set a fair enough price for both of you, cause if you go too low you're working for peanuts and giving yourself the "cheap guy" label and bands will turn you down when you raise your prices for the next clients, so be careful with that. And if you go too high, people will compare your price with bigger studio guys and think "well, for 100 extra bucks we can record with this more famous guy with more experience and better sounding mixes", not trying to offend, I don't even know how your mixes are nor do I know anything about you, just setting a typical example for up and coming home studio guys (such as myself and you). I wouldn't normally reccomend doing some free work either, unless it's a case of really close friends, and I mean real close. The only free job I've done was with a band of close friends, but I mean Best buddies, I consider them my brothers kind of friends, and even with that, they are going to pay me for doing their full length cause they were happy with the mix on the Ep, and I'm not gonna do a whole full length album of work for nothing even for my best friends.

Just my thoughts, and I'm no expert and haven't been in the business for long at all, but still, hope it helps

thanks bro for your tips.

what i really think is about a lot is:
1. am i ready? if i start doing some work and i get bad results, or unsatsfying resluts, it might give me a really bad name.
2. will you produce small bands even if their material isnt that great? after all, if you have shitty players, you may get the best mix ever, but it will sounds awfull, and people will blame you, since you recorded it.