Stereo pair of mics

Chaos_Moon

Nov 29, 2010
Washington DC
Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a pair of condensers. I'll be using them as a stereo pair for recording orchestras, choirs and wind ensembles, as well as drum OHs. As of now, I don't have a preference between SDC or LDC. Multi-pattern would definitely be a plus. My budget is around $700 for the pair, willing to go a little bit higher. Any thoughts on some good mics?

Hmmm the Beyers do look pretty nice. Might be a bit too much for me right now though.

I've used the 184s quite a bit, and I absolutely love them. Unfortunately they're too expensive.

Another vote for the Beyers or Josephson C42s. You can find them used around your budget if you are vigilant. Both of them are superior to the KM184 in my opinion.

I own a pair of the Beyers and they're my go-to mics for SO many things.

Pair of Studio Projects CS-5 can be had for that amount. It's their flagship mic. Multi-pattern, seriously underpriced, and tend to be used for precisely the applications you listed.

Another pair to consider would be Peluso CEMC6. For just under 700$ you get a nice quality pair of sdc, hard mounts, shock mounts, windscreen and a flight case. The mics have nice usefull features like a high pass at 75hz or 150hz, -10 or -20 db pad and it's a modular system so you can get omni, hyper cardioid or wide cardioid capsules for them later if you need/want those (the case even has slots to store them all).

I've used a pair of AKG C214 once for drum overheads and I liked them a lot. 770€ new. Don't know if they could fit for what you're after tho.