Steve Irwin killed!

THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead.

He was killed in a freak accident in Cairns, police sources said. It is understood he was killed by a sting-ray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary and that's when it occured.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality this morning at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

-----

Wow.

Blitzkrieg said:
I guess his years of craziness finally caught up with him.

Maybe.. but sting-rays are generally pretty harmless.
Either it was really just a freak-accident, or he was doing something silly and tried to pick one up..

He was probably pushing one to react, like he does.

I feel very very sorry for his family, and as a father myself, I feel for his children.

R.I.P. he might of had a very full on personality, but he was still a great Aussie

I guess whether you like his methods or not, he did a tremendous amount to promote Australian wildlife, and he got countless numbers of people interested in reptiles and our wildlife... I feel for his family, it would be terrible. Australia has never had anyone like him, and probably won't for a long time :( His contribution to conservation and environmental issues in Australia is priceless...

Killed Badly I beleive. It's a pity, and Darwin's tortoise died at Steve's park earlier this year.

He brought conservation to the headlines again, so deserves a bit of respect on that front.

^ that would be terrible if it was

Steve was one of the more genuine people around, and even though he shat alot of aussies off in that he gave a false representation of we are like, I believe that the world is a slightly worse off place now that he is dead :(