Steve I've got a question for you.

HeavenDenied

New Metal Member
Oct 28, 2003
Visit site
What do you think about John Myung (Dream theater's bassist)? I know he doesnt play you style but what do you think about his technique and ability to play bass. I'm a very good fan of both (you and Myung but I dont classify both on the same category) But I MY case I'm more of a progressive bassist so I wanted to know your opinion and also what do you think about the conklin groove tools (I got one and Its amazing you should probably get one and try it out they also have fretless)

Myung is an extremly talented Bass player, but not much of a show man on stage. He has his own style and I admire that,great skills...a pro.

If i talk about S.DiGiorgio, he's all of what i have said above and he has a lot of presence (energy) on stage.......but what's better, is that he's in most of the time adding or changing his bass parts, on a show...i guess that's a part of playing live......which is excellent and always amazing!

Too bad some bands does not always give him the liberty to play he's creative bass parts..........(don't you hate the metal way=play it safe)

anyway that's only my opinion.....

John Myung is very talented in my opinion.. at least in Dream Theater. I never really checked what he did with Sean Malone in Gordian Knot... It must be great.

Celine Dion said:
I never really checked what he did with Sean Malone in Gordian Knot... It must be great.

Not really, he only played stick on one song. He's a descent bassist though, but I have to go with the others in this thread; Not much of a showman that guy. :Smug:

After watching the live in metropolis video my respect for John Myung went increased alot, he looked like the only musician on stage that where focused on the music rather than acting like a clown. And sure, his basslines are not what they could be but he is still an amazing bassplayer.

The question was what do I think of Dream Theater bass guy..? I think he's one of the most shreddingest bassist in the prog metal world. Obviously has extensive knowledge of the instrument we all pretend to play. I'm not gonna go and check all my DT cd booklets, but I'm pretty sure he writes a shit load of Dream Theater songs. That in itself is something we can only hope to achieve on some parallel scale to our own compositional contributions. He is mathematically precise and articulate with his bass lines. Some may not like it, but I think it's genius. Especially when writing so much for your band, it's twice as difficult to finish the riff ideas for everybody and then top it off with totally creative bass lines...it's almost equal to writing two songs in one.
Holy crap, are you guys serious that it's debatable? You don't need to act like a maniac on stage to convey energetic performances. I don't think so anyway, so that's where it goes back to the matter of opinion. So that's mine. I admit, the band has taken on more of a comic attitude in later years and they were more visually appealing 'back in the day'. But man, I think the only time I was impressed with a shocking visual performance at a metal gig was Rammstein. They came out totally lit on fire! Now that was cool.
When I grow up I wanna be John Myung...or Michael Lepond...or Randy Coven...or Barry Sparks...or maybe I'll impersonate the King - Lars Norbert!
Alas, I'm stuck being me...
SDG

Thats exacly what i mean people here dont get it. Myung is a genius he is probably one of the best bass players. And you dont have to be a show man to be good in fact as someone said he seems to be always perfect when he plays and that makes a very good bassist a solid one. and Steve it surprizes me that you said when i grow up i wanna be like myung. you think that he is better than you??? i mean like now a days and I mean in fretted bass like speed techinique etc.

Great answer Steve haha. Has anyone even checked out the new Dream Theater yet? Train of Thought? It's the best thing they have done since Awake, and its heavy as well, with a touch nu in the mix, but done rather well imo.

Good seeing ya and Rob at Soilwork the other night Hippie (Killer performance), and yes we will drink heavliy at the next show we are at \m/(><)\m/

Check out Into Eternity if you haven't. Lates

Bear

Wasn't there something about Tony Levin regretted that he had joined LTE, since he wasn't a technical music-person or something?