Stevie Ray Vaughan - your thoughts?

SoundMaster said:
Guitar god? Or over-rated hack?

Been getting into him recently...his solos were friggin' awesome. Not much of a songwriter, though. But, overall, I think he really delivered the goods.

I did lend some of hes cd while a go.
But didn´t realy get in to it. Or something....

This isn't even debatable. One of the best "Blues" guitarists to walk this planet. I always find myself wishing that why could'nt the band Korn be on that helicopter that crashed, instead of Stevie Ray. Life just is'nt fair.

He's obviously a legend in his own right, much like Hendrix or Dime. The fact that he is dead obviously contributes to that. So all respect to him for being an icon but... blues just kinda don't do it for me anymore. There's only so long that I can listen to the pentatonic scale over and over without just getting bored shitless, and that's about all that Stevie Ray ever played. And he was a womanizing cokehead redneck.

I've been listening to srv since before I was walking...my dad was really into him, so i always heard it growin up, and i ended up with all of his albums from my dad, and I love it. whenever i'm in a bluesy mood the first thing that goes on is "the sky is crying" or "couldnt stand the weather"

He is one of the greatest "guitarists" we have seen to this day (not just blues guitarists, but any style of guitarist). His passion for the blues is apparent in everything he plays. Robert Cray once said "there will be many frustrated guitarists out there trying to play Stevie" (something like that). Clapton once called him "an open channel to the blues". I have heard very few guitarists in any style of music that could keep with him. His speed, technical ability, tone and feel are just amazing. I do agree he was taken from us way too soon. He was moving to add more of a jazz feel to his playing. I would love to have heard what he might have come up with...

R.I.P. Stevie....

SRV is amazing,Great player he used to put his heart and soul into every note he touched on his guitar a really influential player.