Stick w/ SSL Alphalink or switch to A&H ZED-R16?

MatrixClaw

May 22, 2010
Mesa, AZ
So here's the deal, I've got the opportunity to trade my SSL Alphalink MADI AX and RME HDSP 9652 card for a ZED-R16 plus quite a bit of cash...

Currently, I own 4 channels of Focusrite ISA and 6 channels of SCA A12b (API)... I don't really need the ZEDs pres, but I'd love it for the EQ and analogue summing... Just not sure if the conversion would be at all comparable - I can't try the ZED beforehand.

This would make an awesome centerpiece on my desk and would help legitimize my studio in the eyes of most clients, which is the biggest factor I'm considering it. Realistically, I only need 10 channels or so of conversion, but I'm losing 8 with the ZED. If it weren't for the board having all the inputs on top, rather than the back, it'd be an easier choice, but I also feel like its going to look much more messy...

Thoughts?

^^Really, I want to get away from completely mixing ITB, and being able to bring the tracks back into the A&H and mix with the onboard EQs is appealing, plus using it as a summer. Really, the EQs are the biggest draw for me, plus the appeal to clients for having a big board on the desk...

However, I just bought a Mackie Control Universal, so I at least "feel" somewhat like I'm mixing OTB now. I have plenty of great EQ plugins, so I'm honestly not sure that I'd really gain anything audibly with the analogue EQs on the board, it's more that I'd have 4 dedicated knobs for every single channel that is appealing. Plus, I gain 6 utility pres (though, I was planning on buying 2 N72s and at least a nice 2-channel tube pre to round out my preamps on the SSL rig for now). I've really never looked into analogue summers, other than summing inside a board, so I honestly don't know how big of a benefit that'd be, especially on a "console" that's fairly inexpensive, like the ZED.

I feel like SSL gear would be more appealing than A/H. I'd buy something cooler to sum everything through later. Not everybody cares about a board.

While I'd agree with this statement - Having a board around here seems to be the difference between making peanuts and a good amount in audio. I've lost countless numbers of bands to other studios, just because they own consoles. Their end result was sloppy and rushed and they paid 4 times as much as what I would have charged. TBH, this is really the only major factor that's causing me to even consider this trade...

Go from a great interface to a jumped up mackie 8 bus? No.
I want to do the same but with a decent ish desk.

To be honest the Allen & Heath is a really clean board so you won't really gain anything from it's summing. I love using it for tracking and the eq is pretty good, as is having 16 insert points if you have alot of outboard gear. I don't really do much actual mixing on it though.

We have the Alphalink and an AH MixWizard; I honestly have zero real use for the MixWizard and find it to be a waste of space/money. The pres kinda suck, the EQ is okay but then you've gotta patch nice pres into it to make it worth it, and the sheer amount of space it takes up is just frustrating.

Alrighty. Think I'll pass then, thanks for the help guys. Alternatively, I'd found another ZED for a super low price, I could've bought it in addition to my SSL converters but the board doesn't seem to have analog outs for each channel, and I really don't want to use its conversion.