Still Life Story Analysis

Agalloch

The Purest of Doom
Nov 29, 2003
AZ
I want to understand the story a bit better on Still Life. I know there's been stuff written about it like explaining what happens in each song? Can anyone either post that info or give me a link to it? It would be greatly appreciated.

Search. I'll try to abbreviate form my own interpretation though, although I havent listened to the album ina while, so it may contain mistakes.

Basically it deals with our Protagonist, the narrator, who returns to the place of his birth after a certain amount of years (sorry forgot the lyric).

He is in search of a woman named Melinda, and from what we gather he was outcast from this place that he has returned to many years ago.

He finds Melinda, only to notice that she has become a nun... he convinces her to come away with him, but they are caught by the townsfolk, Melinda is killed and then the Protagonist is executed.

That's what I see it to be.

I actually read an interview with Mike about this a couple days ago, and he just said that it was pretty much an anti-christian theme, but not in a bad way, so this guy was banished ofr not believing in the same religion blah blah blah, and then Mike said he comes back for his 'babe' Melinda, and the council knows he's here, and then bad stuff starts happening to him, eventually he is hung, and Melinda is killed.

The story is pretty similar to what my friend Moonlapse said. He is expelled from the community, 15 years later he comes back for her Melinda, they spend one night together, are discovered, she is killed, he is executed. The religious people are the evil in the sense that they are the reason why these lovers get apart and, then, later on, after this lapse of time they kill the main characters because Melinda commits adultery (she was commited to another man)...

TheFourthHorseman said:
chaveta said:
yeah.. thats MAYH buddy
Guess you didn't bother reading more than the first post. ;)
yeah...
...I wrote an in-depth Still Life analysis about 15-20 posts down (can't be sure exactly now). The least you people could do is scroll down to read it.

Jeez, stupid nonreadin' fa.....

After reading the lyrics to a fair few Opeth songs, to me, most of them are pretty damn cryptic in their meaning/story. While it's usually easy to discern the overall story behind the songs, I'm usually left thinking "how" or "why" or something to that effect.