Stomp 442

rhuckuz

New Metal Member
Mar 2, 2006
One of Anthrax's overlooked albums. I liked it though. Not the greatest but good nonetheless.

What I want to know is what is the meaning behind the title, Stomp 442?

Stomp is the name of a show with lots of percussion. 442 is the engine in a classic oldsmobile. I'm sure there's more to it though. Something to do with money as one member alluded to in an interview around the time the album was released.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CW_PHL5gh_c
or
http://youtube.com/watch?v=VuAhkVqfcr4

What the numbers actually represented changed over time but it is simply one bad ass car, especially when you stomp it.

This is a very common question that most people don't know the answer to. It all started in 1964. To compete with Pontiac's GTO, Oldsmobile launched their own high performance option on the intermediate-size F85's and Cutlasses. It stood for four-barrel carburetor, four-speed transmission, and dual exhaust.

In 1965, Oldsmobile introduced their new 400 cubic inch engine. Also, they wanted to give prospective 442 buyers a choice of automatic or standard transmission. So, 442 stood for 400 cu in engine, 4 bbl carburetor, and dual exhaust now.

In 1968, the 442 graduated to it's own model status. It also marked the beginning of the W options, namely the W30. The 400 engine remained until 1970.

In 1970, the muscle car era peeked and with it came the new 455 cu in engine. W30, W31, and W32, and the W45 Rallye 350 were all redone W options. So the first 4 in 442 stood for 455 cu in now. The 4 bbl carburetor and dual exhaust remained.

In 1972, the 442 lost it's model status. The 442 option code was W29. If you wanted a 442 now, you ordered your base model Cutlass and then ordered the W29 option. The 350 engine was now standard, although you could still order the 455, but it was down on compression from 10.5:1 to 8.5:1 due to the new emissions requirements.

The 442 option continued this way well into the 1970's and early 1980's as the W29 option. In 1985, it stood for 4 speed automatic, 4 bbl, dual exhaust.

I've heard Scott once owned one. Does anyone know what year??

AlexStomp said:
Stomp is the name of a show with lots of percussion. 442 is the engine in a classic oldsmobile. I'm sure there's more to it though. Something to do with money as one member alluded to in an interview around the time the album was released.
I had posted damned near what Bleearg had said, but I edited it because redundancy sucks. I did see a KILLER T-Shirt at a show for that tour, it has a Rat Fink style monster hanging out of a "442" I wanted it so bad, but I had spent all my moolah just to get a ticket, food, and gas for the 4 hour drive to the show.

As for the album itself, I loved it. Nothing is one of my faves from that album.:headbang:

Oh yeah, I had a 1985 442. T-Tops. Black with Silver accents. I had the 200-4R (for some reason Buick and Olds opted for that and not a 700-R4) taken out and the valve body highly modified and a strip shift kit installed. I was preparing to drop a heavily modified 455 "rocket" into it. I had on order a 6 pt. rollcage (because of the T-tops) and a new rear-end (can you say 4:11 gears?). I wanted to make the 80's version every bit as bad ass as the late 60's version. Well, I ran out of money, sold the engine, cancleed all other parts I had ordered, kept in the 307 (they suck) and drove it until I bought a truck for the band I was in. 4 months after that the band broke up. I still regret doing that.

The mix on that album is near perfect for me. Love that album - brings back some great memories of when I first heard too.

Nothing is a killer track and Tester is the dark horse on that album.

Those 307 powered 80's 442 and Hurst/ Olds were sweet any way.
I had a '81 Cutlass Calais sharp looking car, but didn't run worth a damn 260 V8. My first car was a hardtop '68 Delta 88 455 I was 16 and peeled out ALL THE TIME 3 right rear tires in a year! I also had a '67 Delmont with a 425 very torquey not as fast as the 455. The '79 98 403 my mom had was no slouch either seemed like I was always racing 6.6L Trans Ams it was the same motor and I could beat them down hill!!

For me an awesome record but still a little way down the list of my fave Anthrax records.

Was listening to SOWN today and I have to admit that for Bush era records this ones the pinnacle for me. There is a vibe and something so complete about this album.

The production, the fuzzy tone, Johns voice, Dannys ripping soaring solo's and of course songs like Only and Room for One more. This album probably from start to finish is their most solid (maybe only tipped by POT).

Just love it. I remember hearing it for the first time (on a bus around 11pm travelling some 900kms between Adelaide and Melbourne with my then girlfriend). I was blown away by this `new' mature sound Anthrax had developed. I would be the first to admit at being rather miffed when Joey was given the flick but I loved what they did on this album.

I also remember being quite excited about Thrax being on the Electra label (they were a good pro active label then before management changed and it all went south).

Stomp is a fantastic album, and I've never truely understood why some think that to be a strange thing to say.
I don't know if this makes sence, but it is the perfect "summer" album. I tend to throw it on while driving fast on a hot and humid evening. It just fits.
It is perhaps the tightest the band had been up until that point, and the songs just felt right next to one another. And because of Danny's departure, a lot of it felt "stripped down", which for a band so technical is a daring and enticing route to take.
You know, it's funny because the four Bush era albums are very much related to the seasons with me. I find myself cranking SoWN in the Fall, keeping warm in the winter to WCFYA and that limbo in between below zero and boiling hot that is spring time is perfect for the all-over the place varied feel that V8 has.

But yeah, Stomp rules sucka...

Nice to see some Stomp love around here. You all remember back in 2001 when it made #20 on Rolling Stone's readers poll of the greatest records of all time?

It took me about 5 years to get into this record, for some reason. If it hadn't been for a review in the local Madison student paper, I wouldn't have even known about it! No fucking publicity whatsoever. A fucking shame, considering Sound was a success. Anyway, back in 95 it didn't really grab me, although American Pompeii did.

5 years later, wallowing in Denton, TX, I needed some new heavy music and Stomp and Vol. 8 fit the bill. I love the sound of Stomp (and Vol. 8); I'd say it's one of their best sounding records, especially the drum sound. Paul Crook's (and Dimebag's) leads fucking smoke. This is my favorite Anthrax lineup. And I love Bare despite what everybody says about some of the singing on it. Fuck it.

Anyway, criminally under-rated.

What does the future hold for the Elektra records? Re-issued in 2001, Beyond has since died, they are out-of-print again.

Thrillho said:
didn't they re-issue stomp on sanctuary a couple years ago?
Nope, that was Vol. 8 with "motherfuckin'" re-stored, and B-sides.

Bleearg said:
Those 307 powered 80's 442 and Hurst/ Olds were sweet any way.
I had a '81 Cutlass Calais sharp looking car, but didn't run worth a damn 260 V8. My first car was a hardtop '68 Delta 88 455 I was 16 and peeled out ALL THE TIME 3 right rear tires in a year! I also had a '67 Delmont with a 425 very torquey not as fast as the 455. The '79 98 403 my mom had was no slouch either seemed like I was always racing 6.6L Trans Ams it was the same motor and I could beat them down hill!!

on the subject of the album a little, it is still a damned good album, one I would consider a cornerstone of their entire library. As for the cars, I had a T/A for my first car. It had the 4.9 on the shaker, but really had a "heavily modified" 350 that my dad had built for the previous owner. How is that all related to Anthrax? Easy. Although it had no radio in it (I had to bring in my "boom-box") and the exhaust ended with thrush header mufflers (my car was louder than 90% of the car audio in my town), I would BLARE Anthrax (as well as all my fave's) wherever I went.

The sad news is, after I decimated a Mustang 5.0 in a race, being a small town, my father decided to unhook my secondaries. I had the sound, but no real power......:erk:

I'm pretty sure it was re-released. I just happened to buy it again the other day on ebay with extra tracks. I lost mine eons ago. Need to have it on my i-pod.

AlexStomp said:
I'm pretty sure it was re-released. I just happened to buy it again the other day on ebay with extra tracks. I lost mine eons ago. Need to have it on my i-pod.
Yes, Beyond Records, 2001. Beyond is now defunct, making this and Sound of White Noise out-of-print.

I love Stomp 442! It's probably my second or third favourite album, right behind WCFYA and ATL. There are some killer tracks on there.

I actually prefer Stomp to Vol 8.

I haven't listened to WCFYA in ages - I played that thing for like 1.5 years solid in my car stereo - will come back to it eventually.

But Stomp is such an underrated album.