Stoner metal! (Live drums, real humans, real everything)

MartijnPaauwe

Mar 11, 2008
Dutchieland
www.mirdyn.com
Howdy folks!

I've been working on this project for quite some time now and finally I've finalized the mix/master of one song.

The band is called Bitchfynder General and they play a genre what's best defined as stoner metal, unfortunately the band decided to quit while I was mixing, but I still can release this song.

Drums were tracked in their rehearsal room with my equipment, guitars, bass and vocals were done at my place.

Drums are all real except some quite obvious sample augmentation on the kick and snare, plus I had to sample replace the floor toms because the ride cymbal was overpowering everything, it is a sample of the same drumkit though.

Guitars in this clip were reamped by Nikolas Quemtri, lead guitars were reamped by myself.

I will probably do a revision later on, so there might be some minor improvements yet to be done, but still good enough to show you critics out there :)

Let me know what you think and or if you want some specifics!

Listen here

Hey, cool mix, sounds pretty much in-genre. :kickass:
What if bring some clarity to the vocals (just to make consonants more readable, not to make the overall vocal tone too bright, because they shouldn't be too bright definitely)?
Also I'd suggest to get the snare samples velocity a bit harder in some places for a more constant dynamics of the snare drum.

Thanks Nikolas!

You're definitely right, it's probably a mix between me being a little too aggressive with the de-esser and that the singers pronunciation of those consonants isn't always the best.
Will definitely work on the drums as well, but frankly the drums were definitely the most head hurting part of the process. Drums were barely in sync with the click plus drummer wasn't very constant in his playing, plus he was literally bashing the ride cymbal constantly, next time I will just monitor the ride cymbal very loud in his headphones so he will back off :p