strange cpu work with nuendo

Curse9

Jun 10, 2008
Germany
hi everyone!

i have a very strange problem with my cpu. i work with nuendo 3, intel quad 6600 and 2 ghz ram. the cpu is 100% in use and i have very annoying clicks and the tracks are slowing down while i'm listen to them. i freezed the ez drummer midi tracks allready but nothing changed. i also checked the latency and switched it from low to high...nothing, the problem remains.
i thought my system should be fast enough with this kind of hardware!?!?
i'm a win xp user with all the latest updates.
whats wrong with this fuckin' machine???

Ctrl+Alt+Delete maybe? see where the CPU is being occupied the most?
It sounds more like a software fault to me.

You might have to render your tracks as mp3/wav stems and disarm your vst's. I have to do that on mine. I work on one thing at a time and render it. Freeze function just lops off the end of my tracks, so I render them and disarm everything...you don't have to unload them, just shut them off. It's easy to get carried away and load up a shitload of vst's and expect it to keep working...they eat a lot of resources.

ok, a little update. thx for your suggestions so far. i stocked up my ram to 4 ghz. after a while of working with nuendo i have the same problem again. whats wrong with this shitty piece of programm. i'm really frustrated now. after shutting down nuendo and starting again, i'm able to work with it again, i have no idea whats going on here...:cry:

i have a mackie interface with firewire. i checked the drivers before and the right one was in use. i set the latency to 512 but the same problem remains. it shouldn't be a latency problem anymore. the machine is pumped up with so much ram now, i sould be able to work fine...

Come on, without any tweaking it should be working smoothly. I have a dual core 2180 @ 2.66ghz and 1.5gb ram and only have 90% even with the most cpu hungry projects.

What does your project consist of and what sample rate and bit depth are they in? Post a screenshot of the project and of the settings.

Weird, I've got a full project with ez drummer peaking at 45% and removing ez drummer lowers it by about 15%. Have you checked the option "multiprocessing" ? It makes quite a difference but still ez drummer shouldn't be so cpu hungry. Is it the same project on both screenshots?

multiprocessing is switched on. its the same project.

my only idea is to throw away all my music equipment and going to clean shoes or something.

hmm i only get the clicking and messed up playback and soaring spu useage only when i flick between asio drivers whilst still in a project. if i stick with either the digi 002, or motu, then even on a poject with 50 plus tracks all using at least 5 plugins and 12 of which using drumagog, it still doesnt eat any more than 60% and thats with a core 2 duo overclocked machine at 2.56ghz and 2 gig ram. buffer size on mine is around the 100 region at the mo!

what processes have u running in the background?..... post a pic
Give priority to background services..
your machine should cope with that project.
Is this something that is happening only now?
have u installed something in your computer earlier and only now u gotta a problem????

Yeah post what else you are running besides nuendo and also scan your pc with an updated anti-virus program.

i just happens again. i then switched the samplerate from 128 to 512. the cpu display is still in the middle and there are no more cracks while the tracks are played. is that normal? i thought i can get even lower with my latency without any problems like that. is this maybe a firewire problem?
i also thought about updating the bios but thats the last thing i will do.

Erm... i only have these kind of problems if i'm either using a way to low latency, going through clicks n slow downs, restarting my interface helps, or setting the latency higher helps. Also it is very important to not have any spy-ware virusses and stuff like that! I have seen loads of pc owners not knowing it wuz there.

If it's totally over when you switch from 128 to 512 samplerate, then it's highly unlikely it wil be anything malware,spy-ware,virus related at all.
But if it's going to happen again: hijackthis run this program and copy paste the log file in here.