Strange sound in reaper..help!

vejichan

Dec 29, 2011
I am experiencing a strange slowed down, crackling, distorted sound when I playback or record my songs in reaper...anybody know what's going on here? I'm using plugins like ez drummer, amplitube, gr5, etc..windows 7

Might be a bit too obvious but have you checked your CPU in the performance meter? I've had similar things like this happen to me when I've had way too many plugins working at the same time.

Plus what sound driver is also important I guess, if it's set to something other than ASIO

It is still happening...could the culprit be the audio interface? I am using guitar rig mobile USB interface...been using it for the last 3years w/o any problems... I had tons of plugins and no problems..until recently. I had a few plugins and kept the same sampl rate...and it happened again...the strange slow down static crackle sound,,,

The lower the buffer the lower the latency but the more CPU you need.

You need to set a power of 2, ie 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 dépending on your system

I use Reaper and record at 128 (gives me minimal latency sufficient to record properly). I turn off unneeded plugins while I record.

I mix at more like 512/1024/2048, depending on the size of the project. I also extensively freeze individual or folder tracks that I'm happy with in order to free up CPU when mixing.

Use the ASIO4ALL drivers to get lowest latency.

This happened to me when I was using my express card firewire adapter on my old laptop. I guess it's some internal buffer overflow. Usually audio interface reboot helped. Now I use the same interface (saffire LE) with desktop PC and PCI FW adapter with no trouble at all even at lowest fw buffer settings in ASIO4ALL.