Reaper Please Help Very Important!!!!

DaveKillswitch

New Metal Member
Oct 30, 2012
I'm using My Daw Reaper For Programming Drums With EZ Drummer(Drum Kit From Hell)when i write the notes in midi the blocks became green and it dosen't sound at all.PLease help to recover like the original one

There should be a row on the bottom of your MIDI editor for adjusting velocity.

Raise the velocity of the note you add, and the next notes you add should be the same velocity.

I do, I can write a full song, with blast beats and rolls, in such a short time, in GP5, like you wouldn't imagine. Because the key shortcuts are intuitive, and also especially, the copy/pastes function of GP. You don't need the mouse except to navigate in the measures. Also, I know the midi notes by heart to program drums. It's almost like writing drums like I would write a text in word. Then I like to polish in reaper (velocity, humanization etc) or to divide notes between several types of cymbals since the standard midi mapping is not as rich as would be a metal drumkit for example.

A second reason why is that in any ase I need to keep tabs for my songs, and I want them to be realistic, with the full orchestration if there is one, synths, etc, so I need to tab those drums anyway. Then you just export the drums midi the day you wanna produce the song, and you're good to go.

GP6 is horrible though, what a backwards move, buggy, slow, copy paste functions unintuitive and lacking, and the worst, no midi notation for drums anymore (in tablature view)

I used to program drums in Guitar pro (and I hated GP6 too) but now nothing can beat FL studio piano roll, I've tried out most DAWs.
But I would program drums in Reaper better than GP because you can copy/paste too, but also it's easier to edit each note velocity. hen I programmed in GP I needed to go through track with my DAW to edit all velocities, so that was waste of time.

^ I think now I would prefer writing drums in reaper than in GP6 too yeah. But the problem with reaper or any daw, is the need to use the mouse for that, it is slower. I'm getting better at it, but I still find it faster to go through GP.

However, I agree that the process of writing drums immediately with velocities, in the end, would be faster. The thing is that I loose convenience of writing tabs and drums in the same place (i'm the kind of guy who writes the tab when he writes any riff, immediately, instead of recording the audio directly)

Also, I do write velocities in GP if I need it, then humanize it in reaper in a few seconds (for example you can write the hihat work in the ballpark from GP, and with most good drum vsti programs, it would be more or less what you need. Then of course you can tweak as fuck if you're producing something serious. The only parts where I need to be more acurate after exporting from GP are drum rolls, or parts with subtle/soft drum playing (which is rare in metal)

Maybe you use the wrong midi channel? "green bars" could either reflect low velocity or a distinct midi channel, depending on the settings. Try to drag&drop one of the sample midis from the EZDrummer interface to a reaper track and have a look at it. Does it produce sound during playback?