DIY Drum machine in Reaper

henryjarv

Oct 12, 2014
Finland
hjaudio.blogspot.com
So, if you don't have something like EZ-Drummer, or you just want to use your own samples, with Reaper it's easy.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwppmz7otqgew83/MIDI_Drums.RPP?dl=0

...I created a Reaper project template for drums, you just need some samples.

There are tracks for all you need, B, Sn, Toms.....

Adding your samples:
1. Open (for example) B 36 FX. There's ReaSamplOmatic5000.
2. Click "list"
3. Click "Add".....
4. Find your Samples and that's it.

You can use multivelocity samples. So if you edit midi-note's velocity, ReaSamplOmatic5000 plays different sample.

You can also use ReaSamplOmatic5000 to create any kind of virtual instrument, I recorded notes from my guitar just for fun and created a "DIY VSTi guitar".

.....And midi-notes you write to that first track "MIDI_Drums"

I cant install my normal Addictive Drums plugin on my woman's laptop as it's so large, so when I'm at her house I use a drum plugin called SR-202 and load up my own samples to work on beats.

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/sr_202_by_computer_music/details

It's an oldie but easy to work and you can Jerry-rig multisamples by using different pads for softer hits and loading up more than one instance of the plugin. I always find reasamplomatic to be a bit unruly.

I didn't like it when I first tried it about two years ago, but I think that it's now better because of some updates. I have used EZ-Drummer a lot, but when I learned how to use Reasamplomatic, it's a lot better. Or it's as good as your samples are. If you have 5-15 samples with different velocities for every drum and cymbal, it sounds really good and realistic. More samples for hats, ride and snare of course, and about 5 for kick and toms...

Two tracks where I have used samplomatic:

https://soundcloud.com/henryjarv/death-2014-9
https://soundcloud.com/henryjarv/jex-thoth-kagemni-cover-with-vocals

This is pretty cool, another good way to get some free metal sounds is to grab the MT Drum VST and use this system to add samples to the kick and snare.

Danihell:
I just add a track for reverb (100% wet) and send snare, toms and kick to that as much as I need. Works for me. Sometimes I also add a "room" track, where I use some kind of room-impulse and send the whole kit there. It's not real, but it's better than nothing and makes everything sound more realistic and not so robotic.

"ReaVerb" is really good because it let's you use your own reverb impulses.

HCL:

Yes. From starting post:

"Adding your samples:
2. Click "list"
3. Click "Add".....
4. Find your Samples and that's it. "

You can add as many samples as you wan't.

HCL:

Yes. From starting post:

"Adding your samples:
2. Click "list"
3. Click "Add".....
4. Find your Samples and that's it. "

You can add as many samples as you wan't.

Does that alternate between samples though?

Yes. Different velocities in midi notes play different samples from that list, by sample's peak levels.
Full midi note velocity = loudest sample...
Just try it, it's really easy if you download that template from my starting post.

What I mean is that at a constant velocity will it trigger alternate samples ala drumagog/trigger/aptrigga? It already know that it can react to different velocities which is cool but super laborious to do compared to having regular multisampling.

The Reaper sampler does not seem to support sample randomization (aka "humanization" aka "alternating samples" ...) out of the box.

A workaround could be to assign different samples of the same velocity to adjacent MIDI velocity values, like 120,121,122 and use Reaper's "Edit | Humanize Notes"-function on the selected (e.g. Snare) notes.

The Velocity range can be given only in full % value (I guess) and the MIDI velocity scale is 0.78% for one step of velocity (128 / 100 = 0.78). Two steps are 1.56, three steps are 2.34 and four steps are 3.9%. So if you set 3% here, you'll randomize within 3 steps.
I am not using Reaper, so I don't know if the randomization goes up and down or whatnot and haven't tried it. A little experimentation can help here.

See here:
http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/music-recording-studio/31405-reaper-tip-how-randomize-velocity-midi-tracks-humanize.html

Danihell:
I just add a track for reverb (100% wet) and send snare, toms and kick to that as much as I need. Works for me. Sometimes I also add a "room" track, where I use some kind of room-impulse and send the whole kit there. It's not real, but it's better than nothing and makes everything sound more realistic and not so robotic.

"ReaVerb" is really good because it let's you use your own reverb impulses.

Yes, but i have samples with room mics for snare and toms, maybe add more tracks with the same midi notes...

HCL:

I have to say that I don't know/I'm not sure...But there is some kind of "Probability" button that I have never used, maybe with that it could be possible to alternate samples in same velocity. I have to try it later.
But I have never had that "machine gun effect". If I have something like 20 samples for kick drum, I can just use that "Humanize" button in Reaper's midi editor to randomize velocity about 10-20%.

Danihell:

Aaaa....More tracks, yes. If you have a good computer it shouldn't be a problem to run 30 of those samplers at the same time :D
My computer is about 10 years old win-Xp, and I always have at least 15 samplers with all the effects, compressosrs, reverbs, re-wired to Reason.......And no problem.

HCL:

I have to say that I don't know/I'm not sure...But there is some kind of "Probability" button that I have never used, maybe with that it could be possible to alternate samples in same velocity. I have to try it later.
But I have never had that "machine gun effect". If I have something like 20 samples for kick drum, I can just use that "Humanize" button in Reaper's midi editor to randomize velocity about 10-20%.

Danihell:

Aaaa....More tracks, yes. If you have a good computer it shouldn't be a problem to run 30 of those samplers at the same time :D
My computer is about 10 years old win-Xp, and I always have at least 15 samplers with all the effects, compressosrs, reverbs, re-wired to Reason.......And no problem.

I found a way, I'm using it to resample the MT kit kick and support the snare, works great!

Danihell:

:kickass:

Thanks for all the...."Thanks"! :D

I have just realized that it's possible to put all toms in one track only, and all cymbals in one, and so on...So you don't need as many tracks as in that original template.