circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Strapping Young Lad – Alien
Century Media Records – CM 8327-2 – March 22nd, 2005
By Jason Jordan

SYL_alien.gif

I’m kind of confused. I thought Alien was going to be heavier and angrier than SYL, but the former is actually more personable. I’m sure you’ve heard Alien in its entirety; it leaked a while back. At any rate, I think this particular album is Strapping Young Lad’s strongest outing since City, but that’s no major achievement.

Methinks the production on this one is more fine-tuned than SYL’s, which means that an opener such as “Imperial” doesn’t relay the frenetic instrumentation as it should. On the whole, I think the sound quality on the group’s latest is perhaps weaker than its predecessors’. Complaints aside, it is indeed a decent introduction that segues into the longer-than-usual “Skeksis.” The aforementioned is a great tune that displays the frantic musicianship that Strapping Young Lad are known for, as well as keyboard arrangements that rise to complete lofty, atmospheric goals. “Shitstorm,” the first single I believe, returns to maniacal roots as iterated by Townsend’s (The Devin Townsend Band, ex-Steve Vai) hate-infused, vocal performance. “Love?” has the most groove-oriented riffs present on the disc, and I love how Hoglan’s (Dark Angel, ex-Death, ex-Testament) double-bass is superimposed with the riffage…and then isn’t. In “Shine,” the subtle synths at the 1:15 minute mark are nice touches. “We Ride” is a quick, pissed-off composition. “Two Weeks” is the proverbial odd man out, because it’s serene and acoustic amidst many troubled songs. “Thalamus” retains a bombastic beginning, however, but continually dips into astral passages, while “Zen” ruminates for about fifty seconds until it’s content to blastoff. Arguably, the most perplexing thing about Alien is the extraneous (is it?) “Infodump,” which comprises the last twelve minutes of the album. All that is heard is static and unintelligible voices.

Despite being slightly more laid back than SYL, this album felt more cohesive and substantial than its ancestor. Though diehard Strapping Young Lad fans’ alliances may lie with City, Alien is nevertheless pretty good. In other words, it’s worth picking up if you have some extra cash. But, maybe you should save it for their killer live show instead.

8/10

Official Strapping Young Lad website
Official Century Media Records website

Rodrigo said:
I didn't like Alien all that much. I found a lot of "sameness" in the songs. If I would have done the review I would probably have been crucified.

Just like you were for doing Dark Tranquillity's Character. I don't know how you managed to live past that review. :D

I prefer City and HEavy as a REally Heavy Thing.

Alien is good, but its taking too long for me to wrap my feeble mind around. It's not "in your face" enough

Alien by far is the best Strapping Young Lad outing to date. The samples and layering in the songs are plentiful and if you watched the special making of Clips that are available on the extra dvd or online you will know how much work went into each song. In the live setting the new songs sound awesome too and they for sure won over new fans on the Sounds of the Underground tour.
Now I cant wait for the new Devin Townsend Band cd SYNCESTRA.

^^ I agree. Their best album yet. "SYL" is one of their weaker albums so far imo.

City>Alien>SYL>HAARHT.

Sorry, but it's impossible to have a better album than City because City is perfect. Alien comes damn close though.

of course, on CITY Devin and c. had set extremely high standards (also for themselves) and the new album might not exactly meet them. nevertheless, I find the last two albums and of course the live recording from NO SLEEP TILL BEDTIME really impressive. the newest album is simply awesome, and, even though it's not so 'in your face,' this is one of the highest forms of art in metal. moreover, do we need to have a nuclear blast of hatred on each SYL album?? i've listened to Alien a countles number of times and i really enjoy this less dehumanized, less extreme side of SYL's creation.

Funny that city is classed as the perfect one, when I'm sure most of you skip room 429 on most listens, and I'm sure the same most of you have become addicted to aliens power, sonic booms, and impossible sounds.. I would class a perfect album as a balanced work that leaves you breathless in moments of every song first listen..Yet continues to grow and grow. ie - Synchestra

I don't see Synchestra as that. Maybe Terria, Infinity. or Ocean Machine, but not Synchestra. And yes, City is much better than Alien.

City if far out the best album of strapping young lad.
Alien is also very good but i don't like what devin did to the last song.
7 minutes of stupid noises, i don't buy a cd for that.
Whoever it is a good cd, technical, fast and agressive.

It is said that strapping young lad is bringin their 5th ablum out this year, so i'm looking out for that