Straws.

derek

Grey Eminence
Sep 30, 2005
Edinburgh, U.K.
I was given a HUGE bag of straws by a friend (he works at a restaurant) and so I'm using them in all my beverages, because I love straws.

Sad thing is, I've just poked my eye for about the 40th time today because I'm not used to having straws at home.

Christ almighty.

Anyone watching the new series of ROME? It's pretty awesome.

Reactions: Dead_Lioness
The last few episodes of House have bored the hell out of me. Before, I was way into the show, but yes, it gets way repeatitive.

When I was very young and in elementary school, we used to take apart ballpoint pens (the kind that clicked open and closed from the top), cut about an inch off the tip of the outer shell and use the spring and ink cassette to make a sort of low powered cannon. We'd then take straws from the lunchroom and tape needles in the end of them and put them in these pen rockets and then shoot the straws into the ceiling of the classroom.

Good times!

yes, i am a HUGE proponent of straws. i use them in just about every beverage, even ice water. i used to be a huge drunk and so now even though i drink far less i still feel the urge to have that cocktail in my hand. sometimes its just a water cocktail instead. by the same token i prefer to put ice in everything i drink as well. sometimes when im over at other peoples' houses they dont have straws and im forced to drink from the side of the glass like a common barbarian. fuckin amateurs, any serious drunk has a cache of straws.

Rome is one of the best things on TV right now, if not ever.
FANTASTIC show, well written, great design of caharacters.
Dping a show like that is quit a challange... just think about it...
"everyone" knows the story, yet the writers still made it so mind intrguing and brilliant.
ahhh, you can see it's not "made in Hollywood".
HBO delivers the best... I love it.

Reactions: derek
It adds a human aspect to one of the defining periods of history. It's one thing to read of Caesars murder, another to experience the aftermath of it through the TV show. I think it renders the entire period quite well, and the addition of Pullo and Verenus and the necessary fiction :))) of how they end up deeply involved in everything makes the entire thing come alive.

They also have faithfully coloured each character based on what we do know, yet added a certain gravitas to them. Caesar, The future Augustus and Mark Antony are all very faithful yet uniquely textured characters, with respects to the historical figures. Cicero, in particular, is excellently portrayed. His political maneuvering with respects to Octavian comes to life in the show, whereas it can all feel rather clandestine in a scholarly setting.

I like the show, in short. :lol:

Anyone watching the new series of ROME? It's pretty awesome.

No... but I should

Wolftribe said:
I'd be really interested in seeing how they portray octavian/augustus. He's probably my most <3 emperor just because he was brilliant.

nah, he wasn't all that. He only won because Antony was pussywhipped by Cleopatra and he ran away at Actium because of it.