Stream my band's debut record here. For fans of Mastodon/Opeth/Floyd/Elbow

And for those interested, it was produced and mixed by Andrew Schneider, an extremely cool dude who has worked with the likes of Cave In, Pelican, Keelhaul, Zozobra, The Ocean.

This has all the elements I've been missing from recent Intronaut/Opeth/Mastodon, and the production is a trip. The drums are so organic but everything is super clear.

Sounds great man, the production and songwriting is awesome! Any info on the recording chain for guitars?

Andrew Schneider is very, very good. We also had our friend Joe Kearns engineering, who works at British Grove. Great guy, great engineer.

There were literally over 100 different setups for guitars. Maybe even more than that. Pretty much a different sound for every section of every song.

We used 2 setups per dirty sound, using our gigrig pedal switchers to split the signal. 1 setup was usually an old Vox AC20 with a Black Arts Black Forest in front or a super old AC30 head into an old, weird cab - I can't remember - with the black forest in front again. We used an 800, a JMP and a Thunderverb 200 for dirty stuff too. The stuff from the live tracking went to tape too. All the usual culprits in terms of microphones and some weirder old stuff.

Bass was almost all from the live tracking. A thunderverb 200 into my 2 EV loaded Mesa Cabs. I think it was a D112, RE20 and an 87 or 89. MXR Micro Amp was used a lot, that was one of Andrew's cool little tips. That amp sounded like a fucking chainsaw. "That doesn't sound small" was our stupid little phrase for moments like that. We also used an Ampeg B15 for some stuff. All bass went straight to tape. And all the pedals too, some chorus, delay, fuzz etc.

Cleans were mainly an old Fender Twin. Sometimes we put an old memory man in front. Other times we used the Thunderverb 200.

It was a while ago so I'll post more when things come back to me! But, fuzz pedals. Loads of them.

This has all the elements I've been missing from recent Intronaut/Opeth/Mastodon, and the production is a trip. The drums are so organic but everything is super clear.

Yeh Andrew Schneider is an unbelievably good guy. Worked with Big Business recently too. I told him he should be the guy to do a Mastodon record!

We tracked drums with no compression on anything. Straight to tape. Also, stereo rooms didn't get compressed other than mix buss compression. They didn't even go through the drum buss, no parallel, nothing. Weird how we all get caught up on smashing room mics. We wanted that fairly short sense of ambience though. Check the track "Delve Into the Retrospect" for some cool reverb. Short and roomy.

Nice one anyway dudes! I'm really enjoying thinking about the recording process again! We did this in January 2013! Stoked to get this out there and so happy it's been mainly well received so far. Any other questions - fire away.

Awesome music and production. Just recently got into that kind of stuff

Ah nice one man, thanks a lot! I'd highly recommend Keelhaul, The Ocean and Electric Hawk then. Similar vein to us and all produced and/or mixed by Andrew Schneider.

These drums still make me shit my pants:

http://www.reverbnation.com/electrichawk

Recorded at Steve Albini's studio. Check Dirtnap for hugeness and Supple Demon for otherworldly riffing. The whole record is great though.

And for Keelhaul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mDhbIQFA-I

The whole record (Keelhaul's Triumphant Return to Obscurity) is beautiful. I've heard through the grapevine that Mastodon are big fans of these guys. Unsurprising really. Very post-rock, sometimes grungey, a little proggy. Very riffy. Check that whole album for a fucking masterclass in room mic automation. Sometimes dry, sometimes huge. Great!

Enjoy!

Very cool man. I dig it. Is that a Sub Kick blended in on the bass drum or a sample?

no samples anywhere man. Kick was always a D112 or D12 with either a 47 or a reversed speaker in front. Andrew would use a distressor as an insert during tracking, 4:1, medium attack, medium release, 4dB gain reduction. Didn't track with any compression on the way in though. Same settings were used in the mix.

And thank you very, very much.

For all you US dudes - the album is out on the 2nd. If you dig it enough - I saw some insane bundles where you can grab something like 2 t-shirts, a vinyl, a slip mat, a back patch and a digital download for 40 bucks. /salesman :Smokedev:

Damn, this is fucking great!! :kickass: Will definitely buy this, one for me and one for my pal - he'll fall in love with this :lol:.

Cool music but the production ruins it a bit for me, not my cup of tea at all :/ All sounds good but i wished the drums sounded better, just thin and yeah like unmixed raw drums really.