Struggling a bit with this mix

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
Lately I feel like I'm spreading myself too thin.. Mixing too many bands and getting ear fatigue.. It's pretty depressing.. So this a mix I'm struggling with:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/BlackRapture1.mp3

The playing on it was very hard to edit. Really hard to make it sound even kind of tight.. But any suggestions would be great.

Also, the toms are not yet processed, so when you hear bald spots during the drum fill, that is why.

EDIT:

Hey everyone! I re-did this mix and re-edited it from sratch. I really like it now.. Check it out

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4985090/BlackRaptureMixWithIntro.mp3

i like it bro.

kicks a little clicky for my taste and maybe add a bit more body to that snare? 200hz?

Oh yeah, regarding the drums!

I have not processed the toms yet, so you will not hear the toms.. Leading to looseness of feel.

the worst part about this is the guitars... they are horribly out of tune here and there.
bass almost destroys small speakers, way too much rumble going on.
also guitars sound super artifical... maybe if your ears get tired, try taking some days of and get back to the mix.

but in my experience its 90% the bands and their songwriting AND technical skills that make a mix not sound like music.

so i wouldnt get too frustrated ;-) take this mix with a song you like and youd probably go : holy shit, this sonds great! ;-)
its not just the mixing engineer that makes music sound bad, haha. dont forget that ;-)!

the worst part about this is the guitars... they are horribly out of tune here and there.
bass almost destroys small speakers, way too much rumble going on.
also guitars sound super artifical... maybe if your ears get tired, try taking some days of and get back to the mix.

but in my experience its 90% the bands and their songwriting AND technical skills that make a mix not sound like music.

so i wouldnt get too frustrated ;-) take this mix with a song you like and youd probably go : holy shit, this sonds great! ;-)
its not just the mixing engineer that makes music sound bad, haha. dont forget that ;-)!
I appreciate that.

Their playing is very odd. Not in a bad way, just different than what I'm used to encountering! I fucking love the music and the guys, it's just a new journey for me.

By telling them to rewrite their music, or get more practice. It's pretty sloppy, and moves weird. There's nothing a mix can do for this music.

Otay right on dude. So in otherwords, we shoulda spent more time tracking it.

Maybe you were going for this effect, but it's really distracting: There is a TON of sub-bass, in the kick especially and a bit in the bass.

Also it would be nice if the guitar solo's would pan to the center when there is only one going. It's weird hearing it panned to the right. The snare seems to get buried, and sounds slightly over-compressed.

Vocals are kind of dry, but I'm sure its more the actual tone of the vocals.

Love it! Good work dude, really dig the vocalist!

Only thing I would change is the kick. It has to much high mids in it I think.

Thanks man! I will pull back the highs a bit in the kick. I used the oxford trans designer in the kick chain, so that could be the reasoning for it.

Maybe you were going for this effect, but it's really distracting: There is a TON of sub-bass, in the kick especially and a bit in the bass.

Also it would be nice if the guitar solo's would pan to the center when there is only one going. It's weird hearing it panned to the right. The snare seems to get buried, and sounds slightly over-compressed.

Vocals are kind of dry, but I'm sure its more the actual tone of the vocals.

Yes, I was going for the subbass heavy sound for this one. LOVE that sound personally