Stu Block Singing On New Iced Earth Album Dystopia

Ken:We're all good. At least the one common thing we all have here is that we think Symphony X is a pretty kick ass band.

I've given Dystopia a few spins over the last couple days and I can definitely say it's better than the last three albums but still falls short of the earlier works. That's about as good as I can hope for these days and considering it's the band's 10th studio release. Probably the biggest shocker to me as a humongous Barlow fan is that Stu sounded pretty good throughout (even when they tried to make him be Barlow/Ripper). Still, Iced Earth could produce better music I think.

Well, I do think I'm better than them those there gangstas draggin' der pant to da floor. While they're off being clones, I'm being myself. I'll add hipsters to the list too. I'm not being pretentious, I'm also being the observant bystander seeing all these posers dressing and acting the same...

You are still being pretentious.

This is how your statements are coming off:
Kenneth thinks he is better than everybody else around here, but because I don't believe this to be true, he is pretentious, and I dislike it.
When it comes to me, however, I know for a fact that I am better than the types of people I've mentioned, and therefore, I am not being pretentious, I am just being factual.

You think that what you are saying doesn't somehow relate to what you are complaining about, but it does; it's the exact same thing.
Who you perceive as lesser is no-more acceptable or correct than who others' perceive as lesser.

Ken is cool, and I value his opinions.

But yes... back on topic. SX > Iced Earth :D

My alliance? LOL.

I don't agree with everything that he posts (and I'm not saying that I, or everybody should), but I find that he often posts... posts that have substance.
He usually explains why he feels a certain way about certain things, and his arguments are detailed and interesting.

I try to keep my posts polite, for the most part, and I am fond of all of the regulars around here... yes, whether you care or not, that also includes you, Liquid.

My alliance? LOL.

I don't agree with everything that he posts (and I'm not saying that I, or everybody should), but I find that he often posts... posts that have substance.
He usually explains why he feels a certain way about certain things, and his arguments are detailed and interesting.

I try to keep my posts polite, for the most part, and I am fond of all of the regulars around here... yes, whether you care or not, that also includes you, Liquid.

I think almost every regular around here has had some sort of argument/disagreement with him at some point, even me. Even so, I am still fine with him as there have been plenty of things I find we agree on; however, I do think that sometimes his explanations of his dislike for something comes off as a bit pretentious when he talks more about the kinds of people that listen to something than the music itself. I did say "sometimes" because he does not usually come off as so shallow when stating his opinions on things he does not like. I feel that sometimes things may get written without thought or consideration, as this is the internet and not real life, and later a stubborn attitude that does not want to admit blunt/inconsiderate behavior. You may say you are a blunt person; however, I highly doubt you are that blunt on your opinions in real life. If a guy in an Iced Earth shirt asks you what you think about them I really can't see you tell him the same thing you said about them here. Not necessarily because they may beat you up or something, but I would think that because you are a decent human being you would be considerate and actually tell him valid and understandable reasons why. Here you just kind of let your pretentiousness bite...

Anyway, back to the topic of IE being Emo:

If Emo is meant as "emotional" in general then yes, as pretty much all music is emotional. The kind of Emo that I am pretty sure is being meant towards IE then no, I don't see how it would apply to them at all? With Dystopia I feel that the overall attitude and feeling that the lyrics lead to is a sense of empowerment. None of the lyrics speak about how we should just kill ourselves because life sucks and we are powerless and hopeless and blah blah blah. If anything it is almost the opposite of this as they speak of resisting the wrongs in society and not letting them control us. It is about us not being mindless puppets and how we are all individual free souls and what it means to be truly free. I also don't really see anything that is really Emo in the other IE albums either?

p.s Zook: Evergrey is not Emo either. You sound just as ignorant about something being Emo as the one you are accusing of the same thing. You accusing someone of generalizing IE and alienating those who listen to them is not helping very much when you turn around and do the same exact thing as them. You alienate those who like/listen to Emo music by bashing it and calling them names, and then you show ignorance by saying that if any metal band should be considered Emo it would be Evergrey. Hypocrisy only makes you look stupid and nobody will take you seriously.

He usually explains why he feels a certain way about certain things, and his arguments are detailed and interesting

Is this an example of what you said above? :lol::lol::lol:

I guess this is kind of a single dude living in the basement fan kind of band?.

however, I do think that sometimes his explanations of his dislike for something comes off as a bit pretentious when he talks more about the kinds of people that listen to something than the music itself..

Very well put!

So basically, instead of talking about the music, you're criticizing people who criticize people instead of talking about the music? :lol:

Liquid Tension, metalxmetalx, and a couple others: Why don't you guys start your own thread to talk about how you feel about Ken? That way we won't have to read about it every time.

So he's not very diplomatic in voicing his opinions, who cares? Regardless of whether I agree or not, I'm one of those who prefer interesting, intelligent and articulate arguments/opinions to soft, diplomatic ones. So unless he starts personally attacking you, holding some kind of personal grudge just because of that is really lame of you.

So basically, instead of talking about the music, you're criticizing people who criticize people instead of talking about the music? :lol:

Liquid Tension, metalxmetalx, and a couple others: Why don't you guys start your own thread to talk about how you feel about Ken? That way we won't have to read about it every time.

So he's not very diplomatic in voicing his opinions, who cares? Regardless of whether I agree or not, I'm one of those who prefer interesting, intelligent and articulate arguments/opinions to soft, diplomatic ones. So unless he starts personally attacking you, holding some kind of personal grudge just because of that is really lame of you.

I was just trying to help people understand that Ken is what he is so either deal with it or move on....

If you don't like is being posted then don't read it... Can this be too hard for you to do???:lol:

Holy fuck, guys.

What Marwen posted was quite mature, and even if it doesn't seem to be the case, he did not personally bash either of you.

metalxmetalx: Saying things like "If you don't like these types of posts, don't read them" makes sense to you?
How is one supposed to know what the post is about before reading it? Get real.

Holy fuck, guys.

What Marwen posted was quite mature, and even if it doesn't seem to be the case, he did not personally bash either of you.

metalxmetalx: Saying things like "If you don't like these types of posts, don't read them" makes sense to you?
How is one supposed to know what the post is about before reading it? Get real.

Oh I see as long as a person posts in a "mature" way then it's fine even if the content isn't worth shit.... noted!:lol:

Please point out where I bashed Marwen???

Thanks Gentleman...

Just popped to tell you guys this: bought a ticket to a Iced Earth show in Helsinki today.

You guys get IE & SyX on tour in US. Lycky bastards. I've seen SyX once supporting Dream Theater and they played like 30+ minutes while DT played a 2½+ hour wanking fest. And I was still a happy camper. :headbang:

Well, this whole thing has been dragging on for far too long than necessary, but tell me blokes: why do you feel this urgent need to defend KennethR. Isn't he capable of doing it by himself? I've never seen any of you defend people who have been bashed by him before. Now you guys, get real!

perhaps an inverse question: why do you feel the need to mount a crusade against my often-sharp-edged honest opinions? It's somewhat hypocritical to, in the one hand condemn at every turn and in the other dismiss criticism with something like "if you don't like it don't read it." Which is it?

I'll admit, I said some stupid things, but I was taken back by your asinine opinion that Iced Earth is an emo band just because they have darker lyrics. You must listen to some pretty happy go lucky shit.