Studio desk and acoustics. Advice needed.

abt

BT
Aug 1, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Greetings! I haven’t been around here for a while. I’ve been renovating my house. It’s something I recommend if you enjoy living in dust, like dealing with builders, are keen on spending all you free time working, and take delight in watching money fall out of your pockets like water.

As a result I’ve done absolutely no recording for over a year now. I really want to get back in to it. Seeing that I’m already spending all my money I’m planning on updating my monitors, acoustic treatment, and desk. I’ll be building the desk myself as they’re too expensive to buy. I’m going to base it of this design:

DS-HS-2009-Large.jpg

This layout works for me. I won’t be keeping my mixer. I think the monitor bridge will work better than my stands as I have limited space, this will let me keep the desk reasonably close to the wall yet pull the monitors a bit further away from the wall than they are now. Currently I think they’re a bit too close.

I guess there’s not too much to ask about the desk except maybe if you can see anything inherently wrong with this design?

As for the acoustic treatment. A few years ago my company purchased a whole bunch of gear from a place that also sold Aurlex foam. I took the opportunity to buy a roominator kit. It was a deal too good to miss out on.
Here’s the room before and after.

Before.JPG

After.JPG

It’s been a long time since it looked this clean! At first the difference was amazing but over time I’m not so convinced that the Auralex foam is actually any good. Is it any good? Here is the floor plan of the room with proposed treatment.

Plan.JPG

At the moment there seems to be a bass build up near the door. In comparison to this spot there seems to be not much bass coming back to me. It’s always louder on the right side so I have to adjust the right monitor so it’s volume is lower.

In all the small size, fireplace, built-in cupboards and desk (there is about these), makes it a less than ideal space.

My plan is to put bigger longer (floor to above standing head height) in the two corners behind the desk. Then three panels like these, one behind each monitor and one in the middle, http://mediamusicforum.com/high-frequency-absorbers.html.

And bass traps like these:
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15305

The room height is about 3.3m (11’) so I don’t think I need a cloud.

Feedback, opinions, ideas wanted desperately. I don’t want to do this for a third time.

No one? I tried to add as much info as I could to save people the hassle of asking questions, maybe it's too long to read!

The desk I'll be building I'm going to work off similar dimensions to these:

http://www.custom-consoles.com/images/DS_HS_web.JPG

I'm concerned that the monitor bridge might not be deep enough as they are not quiet angled in for the the monitors to sit parallel to the racks when going off the old equilateral triangle trick. In other words once I angle them in the back of the monitor might hang off the back of the meter bridge a little bit.