here is the mic setup:

snare top: 57, EV Cardinal
snare btm: 57
kick: trigger
OHs: rode nt5 (spaced pair)
ride: mxl 603
china: mxl 603
tom1: 57
tom2 sennheiser tom clip mic (dunno what its called)
tom3: audix d6 (wanted to use it for the kick, but it sounded like crap)
room mics: ADK A-51, Rode NT1 (really actually using these this time, its awesome! (too bad the room is pretty dead though)

I can really recommend the EV Cardinal!! Its an awesome mic, also for the low price.. ; but you need a pad if you want to use it on loud stuff.

Sounds really good man. Any processing on that snare? (Bit of compression and verb perhaps?) And what head is that on the snare?

he told me the snare is really cheap (~7o€) and it only sounds good because of the new skins. don't remeber which ones they were but we had a huge piece of tissue and duct tape on it to suppress the harmonics.

the real "secret" to this kind of snare sound is the reverb. if I turn off the reverb bus it sounds like crap. I eq'd the reverb and like I said, the room sound plays a role too.

Right on. Is that black ring around the snare actually on the head? or is it some sort of ring you put on there? I've just never seen that before.

lol. the room is not treated and I have no clue what the dimensions are and its not whats making the snare sound so good :)

its a bit bigger than a drumset, carpet floor, carpet walls, carpet ceiling :) hahaha. and some wooden closets. thats all.

The reverb bus is pretty loud and the whole drumbus is crompressed hard too, thats what makes it sound so dense. the room mics are compressed so damn hard with some kind of saturator (some free plug..), eq'd and I put a small verb on that too, cus the room is siomply dead.
don't be afraid to use lots of reverb. I was always scared to muddy up the mix because of too much verb, but reverb is sooo important. it makes sounds come alive. its because your ears dont normally hear like a close mic normally would, its just not natural.
when I was listening to this when recording I instantly had to think about dimmu borgirs puritania. the drums are soo fucking tasty. and check out the reverb they have..., holy shit! ..