Studio Monitors vs. Headphones

For pricier FWIR you could go with German Maestro headphones, though they seem to be kinda hard to get.

Sony MDR-7609 seem good too, don't know if they better the M50's but they're a bit costier if I recall correctly.

Well I know I DESPISE the 7506's, they have such ear-rapingly hyped treble - maybe the 7509's are better, but I'm wary! :erk:

Don't use headphones as your sole mixing reference. They can be good to check imaging, depth, soundstage, low-end (if you have at least decent ones like M50s) and the like, but don't go mixing your entire record from scratch on them.

Don't use headphones as your sole mixing reference. They can be good to check imaging, depth, soundstage, low-end (if you have at least decent ones like M50s) and the like, but don't go mixing your entire record from scratch on them.

+1.

I don't believe people can come up with a brilliantly translatable mix soley on headphones. They are just another tool in the monitoring aresenal along with a car cd play and a crappy stereo haha

Joe

Yup, they sound fantastic to my ears, though mainly I got them because of a budgetary concern; I definitely think they're the best in the price range (certainly better than 7506's and HD280's), but I dunno about pricier!

Could you compare the HD280 and ATH M-50? I've got the HD280s now and they are awesome for tracking and they sound pretty good too.

I use Bayerdynamic DT 770 Pro. I think one of the best h/phones I've ever worked with.
And yes, Ermz is right. For complete imaging and imperfections a pair of them work amazing.

Could you compare the HD280 and ATH M-50? I've got the HD280s now and they are awesome for tracking and they sound pretty good too.

Yeah, I'll I've heard about the 280's is they're lacking in bass and absolutely awful to attempt to mix on, and Ermz' reply reinforces it!

Tried 'em just today, along with AKG K271 studio headphones, Beyerdynamic DT250 80 Ohm and Senns HD 280 Pro. ;)

The K271s lacked a bit in bass, as did the 280 Pro (they lacked critically in bass tbh), while the other two seemed more similar, the M50s having more lows and a more defined soundstage IMO (the lows might be actually a bit too much but I guess when you get used to them it'll be better than too little).

Yesterday I went to a shop to buy the Sennheiser 595 -I had already had the 565- but for my surprise they had a pair Sennsheiser HD580, it is the previous version of the HD600 and HD650. It is out of catalogue but they had a brand new one!

Sounds amazing, not extremely flat, not extremely coloured. Very well balanced.