Studio Monitors??...

MR NINE

Jan 25, 2004
Portugal
www.putfile.com
HI everyone!

I'm thinking about buying a new pair of monitors.
Some friends told me about the Adam active (and I can't find their website...) but as I don't know/heard them, I'm looking for someone who has already know/heard them and of course giving some advice on it.
Very gratefull for any advice.
By the way what about the Mackies Hr824?!?

The Mackie's have positive feedback all around. I haven't read a single review or personal experience from an engineer that's faulted it in any way. If they are in your pricerange, I'd say they're some of the best nearfields you'll ever get.

I don't like the 824s very much. I had them for awhile and sold them. I don't think they're very trustworthy. My mixes would sound awesome in the studio, but light and anemic everywhere else. Their bass response is kinda deceptive, IMO, and they have something weird going on in the midrange. They tend to make whatever you do sound good, which isn't what I look for in a monitor. For what it's worth, I've heard the same thing from a lot of people.

Interestingly enough, I bought a pair of ADAMs when I sold the Mackies; I got the P-11As. I like them a lot better, and I'm doing my best mixes ever. They're a little less slick and forgiving.

Still, I'm considering selling them and just going with NS-10s. I need the $$ more for other studio purchases, and I figure with the number of classic albums that have been made on NS-10s, if something ain't right it's me and not the monitors. I believe that it's all about just learning the monitors you're mixing on, and how they interpret the sound. So even though the Mackies didn't work for me, if you really got used to how they sounded in your room and learned to compensate, I'm sure you could do awesome work on them (people do all the time).

Hi Mr Nine,

I have Mackies HR824 and I am very very happy with them. I think their response is very flat, and they really work like a surgical magnifying glass, you can hear things with them that you can't even hear with headphones. I don't think they are too bassy, it just depends on how well you place them in relation to the walls, and anyway you can tweak them... BUT, if you don't have a large control room, you should really consider the Mackie HR624, the little sisters. They are less powerfull and don't go as low as the 824 can go (lower than 40Hz), but they are enough for smaller room, and sound at least as good as the 824, even better when played at low volume. Plus you save some money :) You should check in a local store where they have both and compare, because after all this is just a question of taste. Mackies, Genelec etc. are all fantastic products anyway, you can't really go wrong with them.

The most accurate monitors for mixing (sub £1000 and available new) are the Yamaha MSP5's. The best for critical listening are Genelec's.

Also a second hand pair of NS10's will be such a help to your mixing that if you can get a pair you'd be silly not to.

Thanx you guys for the advice!
Right now I'm using a pair of Alesis M1 (1st series) and I'm used to record and mix with them. As I am building a new project studio the controlroom is about 3.20mX4.50mX2.35m/high (no more box room!!! my old c.room was 2mX2.50m) I want to upgrade my monitoring, but I'm not quite sure what to buy!...

Hey Brett!? The eq on the 824's really works or not? Ar you using it? Whats the size of your control room?!

Razorjack said:
The most accurate monitors for mixing (sub £1000 and available new) are the Yamaha MSP5's. The best for critical listening are Genelec's.

Also a second hand pair of NS10's will be such a help to your mixing that if you can get a pair you'd be silly not to.
Oh I know what you're talking about, Razorjack! And I'm dealing a pair from a friend of mine that might to sell it. But besides the NS10's I need a second pair of monitors, more powerfull and more bottom end. ;)

MR NINE said:
Hey Brett!? The eq on the 824's really works or not? Ar you using it? Whats the size of your control room?!

Yep it does work, but I don't use it ;-) You have three modes for the low cut : 37Hz, 47Hz or 80Hz, nice for listening without low frequencies and emulating small speakers. You also have a high frequency shelving (-2, 0 or +2db) but I never used that either. It's in case you realise that your mixes translate too bright or too dull outside your studio... Then you have another switch, changing the bass response according to the position of the speaker (against a wall, in the corners of a room, or normal). Check this picture : http://www.mackie.com/home/showimage.html?u=/products/hr824/images/HR824Rear.JPG

I don't have a control room, I don't have a studio... :erk:. I used them in my living-room/kitchen, but now I moved and they are in my bedroom or wherever I take them to record bands. I can tell though that they are too powerfull for a bedroom use o_O

Mr Nine
My best advice is to listen to as many pairs as you can and make a call from there. Monitors are very personal and what works for some may not work for you. Adams are a world (and a $1K - $10k) away from the NS-10s but both are good monitors for people. You really need to listen, compare and pick.

How about the room? Different speakers sound different!
Make you're own judgement. (Play some of Andy's productions as reference:D ). Watch lowend. We pay lots for monitors but to less for acoustics!!

Frank'nfurter said:
Are the Alesis M1 really as good as somebody say? Have heard they are quite similar to the NS-10, or even better.
Some opinions?

No they aren't too similar. The Alesis have more bottom end than the NS10's. And they sound very different! I compared them side by side A/B in my oldstudio and I've found the Ns10's more brighter and with less bottom end. That's one of the reasons that a lot of people covers the tweeters with toillette paper.
Even thou I like the NS10's. I think their perfect for recording guitars and also check details like voice tuning. One of the things that I don't like in the Alesis is that they have a middlerange frequency that's a bit false. But that's just a matter of getting use to it as with a lot of other speakers. ;)

Barth said:
How about the room? Different speakers sound different!
Make you're own judgement. (Play some of Andy's productions as reference:D ). Watch lowend. We pay lots for monitors but to less for acoustics!!

HI Barth!

Oh I can assure you that I'm reeeaaaaaallly concerned about my controlroom!
That's why I got curious about the EQ in the Mackie hr824.
And as for the room I'm spending a lot of money and sweat (and sometimes, blood too, with those construction tools!) to get it right! o_O

MR NINE said:
HI Barth!

Oh I can assure you that I'm reeeaaaaaallly concerned about my controlroom!
That's why I got curious about the EQ in the Mackie hr824.
And as for the room I'm spending a lot of money and sweat (and sometimes, blood too, with those construction tools!) to get it right! o_O
The Eq on the mackies "works" but it won't account for room modes and such. Here are some good sites for acoustics and DIY solutions.
http://www.ethanwiner.com/
http://www.johnlsayers.com/
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html