Studio Room

spioraid

Fancy a pint? Or two?
May 8, 2008
Centreville, VA
I now have a chance to use a dance studio as a recording studio. I was able to pull a few strings and I can use a dance room on weekend and during the 2 week summer break.

It's a 30'x30' room, 4 even walls, not set ceiling (hang down ceiling tiles will be installed later), no mirrors, and a marley dance floor. A waiting room with two plexiglass windows is facing the room and works perfectly as a control room.

I've only been able to use the room once for some drum level tests, and got pretty good results for first time in a room that size with no acoustic treatment.

Now my question to you guys is what would you do for this room?

I'm given pretty much free reign to do what I want with treating things as long as it's back to normal come Monday morning. I'm open to constructing false floors and other walls if it helps as long as I can take them down.

-Slainté

i built bass traps and used shims to hold them in place rather than fastening them to the wall/ceiling. that way there is no permanent damage to the room.
the top of the traps is flush with the ceiling, and the shims are hammered under the traps which holds them quite firmly