Stupid question about vinyl records

madj42

New Metal Member
Aug 20, 2004
Twin Cities, Minnesota
I've always wanted to play the vinyl that I have but never really went out and got something to play it. I'm wondering if someone could answer what speed most of the new stuff would be in (33, 45, or 78rpm)? I was told while out shopping that I shouldn't play the vinyl as well more than once because each time you play it, it damages the record. True?

Any help would be great. I know its probably a stupid question. :)

Most of the full length stuff will be 33 1/3 rpm, 7" singles will be 45 rpm excluding half speed masters and stuff like that. If you're really planning on playing them, you should have at least a decent setup to get the benefits. A lot depends on the pressing too. It's not hard to get a shitty vinyl. I think a lot of people get them to collect rather than play.

I don't know about damaging them when you play them. I think it's a crock of shit personally. If you're using a hunk of crap turntable that isn't set up properly, I can see where the stylus would drag a bit more and that wouldn't be good. If everything is calibrated, it should be no problem. Keep them stored properly, cleaned, and your gear tuned and it's cool.

Not sure if this helps.