suggestions

black night

New Metal Member
Sep 30, 2006
im about to get 20 and i'm learning to play guitar... i think im getting older to play an instrument, so i want to question you if i can get with a lot of practice good to play guitar? i just want to play rock or metal... thank you guys

Well, I think unless you either have a rich mommy/daddy or a good woman to support you so you don't have to work, it's really hard to get the ammount of practice in you need to get really really good. It's definitely good that you're playing, but don't expect to be playing like Greg Howe in 3-4 years if you work full time & have a life outside of work. When you get older life just gets in the way. People like Eliot Fisk eat, sleep & breathe guitar from a young age...

If you play 3 hours a day religiously & you have a solid practice regime I think you can make some "pretty" fast improvements. I suggest maybe getting a teacher & learning some theory early though, becuase you don't want to be playing for a long time & not know how to apply theory well. I think when you start out you should be playing exercises to a metronome, learning easier songs that interest you (PERFECT THESE SONGS) & studying some theory... Possibly even learn to read music, because it's really not quite(.....) as hard as it seems if you get a good headstart on it. I'm good at reading rhythms, but I just recently started to learn to read music notation.

www.metronomeonline.com

If you just want to play basic metal stuff I think you can get pretty good in 3 years if you have well structured practice sessions; but one thing you must always do is mix fun with discipline. Don't weigh too heavily on one or the other.

& on a side note I just got the e-mail that my Carvin was sent off yesterday :p :p :p