Summer Slaughter last night

BrettT

Aug 29, 2006
Austin, TX
This was in Austin at Emos.

Missed Animals As Leaders, but my buddy said they were pretty incredible.

Carnifex was pretty typical deathcore. Mildly entertaining, but the generic breakdown riffs fucking drive me bonkers.

Decrepit Birth was awesome. The new shit they played sounded REALLY good.

Cephalic Carnage was awesome. The sound wasn't the greatest for their set, but they totally ripped it up. Played 3 new tunes. Love how they call the tour the Summer's Laughter tour. Their van broke down in Odessa, Texas, which caused them to miss the San Antonio date, but they rented a car (I believe with some assistance from an Austin friend) and made it just in time to play their set. Got to hang with all the dudes after their set...some of the nicest, coolest guys you'll ever meet. Hopefully they can get their vehicle issues sorted so that they can finish the tour.

Veil of Maya- Didn't catch much as I was hanging with the CC guys during their set. Not a big fan.

The Red Chord- Definitely the tightest and best sounding band of all the ones I saw. They were incredible. I was worried that they would sound weak as a 4-piece, but holy shit they were so damned good. Pretty flawless performance.

All Shall Perish- How many times can a band play the same tired breakdown riff with subdrops?!?!? So damned generic and downright boring.

I left before The Faceless and Decapitated, as I had a horrible headache that was reaching migraine status. Wish I could have seen Decapitated, but was just feeling too bad.

I saw the show in Hollywood and I agree with everything you said. The Red Chord were insanely tight and had a great vibe goin' on. I stayed for the hole show to see Decapitated, but I just have to throw it out there that The Faceless, like every other time I've seen them put on the most boring and uninspiring show of all the bands on the bill. I for the life of me can't understand why so many people like them because to me they are shit. Decapitated was awesome although there were some quirks in their performance. When they first came on Vogg's amp was in clean mode for a good 10 seconds before someone came on stage and switched his amp into distortion. Their new drummer is a beast and the new frontman is pretty damn good, although his high screams sounded like shit, it seems as if he has a very narrow range. He has good stage presence though so I can only hope that he will get better over time. Overall was a fun show despite the fact that I didn't care for half the bands on the bill.

I was taking a fat shit while All Shall Perish was playing and all I could hear was "BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooffff" every minute or so, along with the walls vibrating half way to hell.

Animals as Leaders was very impressive. First time hearing them, but not the last, definitely. You didn't miss much with Veil of Maya. Decapitated fucking raped, except there was guitar technical difficulties during the first song. It sounded like it was coming form the clean channel or something. I dunno... I'll post the video I took and you guys can tell me

Last time I called ASP out here for being so damn boring (they can't write a decently flowing song to save their lives), I got a few heated responses. :lol:

Great players, shit songs.

best bands of the night for me were

animals as leads,the red chord, the faceless, decapitated.

the other bands were either not my taste or just plain sucked (vital remains, veil of maya)

Emos is a fucking shit show. Hhahah, I got trapped in the balcony backstage last time I was there.

The Red Chord has been a 4 piece for a while now. They've always been good like that.