Summing mixers...

Cheers dudes. Appreciate the input.

I must admit I would prefer to get something like the Neve....its an extra £1000 though so maybe I should just hold off untill i've saved some more. It might be better invested in some KRK or Acoustic Energy monitors or even a UAD2. Hmmmmmm.

Hehe thanks again! We're going through the drums as we speak doing the final editing. Should start the guitars next week :loco::headbang::ill: Just need to do some tone A/Bing then its a constant array of takes! :kickass:

Hmmmm KRK or Acoustic Energy lol. I've heard good things about KRK but I tried some AE's out at metropolisis studio's and they sounded sweet...very honest. Maybe a little to sweet though.

Cheers dudes. Appreciate the input.

I must admit I would prefer to get something like the Neve....its an extra £1000 though so maybe I should just hold off untill i've saved some more. It might be better invested in some KRK or Acoustic Energy monitors or even a UAD2. Hmmmmmm.

Hehe thanks again! We're going through the drums as we speak doing the final editing. Should start the guitars next week :loco::headbang::ill: Just need to do some tone A/Bing then its a constant array of takes! :kickass:

Hmmmm KRK or Acoustic Energy lol. I've heard good things about KRK but I tried some AE's out at metropolisis studio's and they sounded sweet...very honest. Maybe a little to sweet though.

TBH I'm a bit too unexperienced to comment on this, but I'd also rather go for something like the UAD2 and some good plugins for it, or better monitors (since you mentioned moving your studio, there's no point in getting better treating).

The videos you posted @sevenstring.org and meshforum from the Metropolis studios were absolutely sick! Must've been killer to record in a place like that. And please post more videos from your upcoming recordings too, haha, they're great fun to watch! Will you be using only the Axe FX now BTW, or do you still use the Pod for some stuff?

Quite a long time ago there was a nice shootout at GS Forum and the Chandler sounded really cool to my ears too (fat and wide). Very noticable difference. However, like axeman said, the more transparent ones were very close to the itb summed mix...

Which Chandler product are you guys talking about, the Mini Rack mixer? Cuz that seems like the closest thing, they don't seem to have just a dedicated summing bus...

Also, how does one decide which tracks to group together when sending out signals to be summed? (e.g., if you only have 8 outputs, and like 40 tracks, naturally each output has to have a bunch of them grouped together)

generally i'd assume you would create submix groups to send out to the mixer. like drums, rhy gtrs, etc.

i guess there are different ways that i'm sure people that use them can attest to. that's how i would do it i was using an analog mixer.

OK yeah i'm thinking it might be best to wait for the summing mixer until i get a high end (£2000 marker) one with a good AD/DA. One day :(

However i do have some money to play with from last payday and payday coming up just before xmas. I want to spend it one some stuff to improves my mixes and im thinking:

Better monitors as i just have some M-Audio BX5s which i've been using for years - used to them though. But they don't have enough sub detail or high end detail....or detail in general :p

UAD2 - I really want some nice, legit plugs...some of those comps look sweeeet.

Cubase 4. I'm using Nuendo 3 (cracked :ill:) and it is time i bought a legit one.
The main reason i'm thinking this is the DAW headroom/panning law:

When we took the drum tracks from the pro tools session and loaded it into nuendo they were clipping in the master. In pro tools they obviously wern't. I think this is down to the panning law, headroom thing. I don't understand the terminology around here but pro tools is something like +18 dbf...dbu whatever....and nuendo 3 is less basically. Does anyone know if Cubase 4 matches pro tools with the panning law/headroom thing? Has it improved since the Cubase/Nuendo 3 engine?

Hmmmm i have around £500-600 to play with and another few hundred next month so im hoping to get maybe better monitors and plugins/cubase. Just can't decide which.

Anyone had experience with AE monitors vs KRK? haha. Buying new gear is effort!