super tape/analog n00b

cloy26

d00d
Jul 17, 2009
Port St. Lucie, FL
www.myspace.com
So I have wondered, why not track initially to a small 4 track or something, then throw it into your daw? Is this in incredibly dumb idea. I know it happens, but not a 4 track. I don't think people do it, so why doesn't it work? :dopey:

I was going to post the same thread- I busted out my Yamaha MT120 to see what kind of cool "vintage/indie" like sounds and haven't really found any good way to get cool results except from low gain room mics on drums sent to a comp- or I guess anything mic'd from a distance... idfk

I'd like to find out why not as well

Due to editing purposes... like duh! :)

What you could do is: Get super-expensive converters, record everything to the DAW, edit, record to tape (along with some outboard processing... maybe), record back to the DAW.

Btw, I really don't think it's a good idea to waste time thinking about analog gear, tape and blah. We're better off building our mixing chops.

It ain't magic. Nothing is.

The tape machine needs service and qualification to function properly. And you can't undo any distortion and non-linearity. I think emulation is great until you can afford the top-class analog gear and converters.

Btw, I really don't think it's a good idea to waste time thinking about analog gear, tape and blah. We're better off building our mixing chops.

It ain't magic. Nothing is.

It ain't magic, but there is a difference in sound. It's creative thinking and curiosity like in the OP that made some of the coolest records we know, nothing wrong with that.

I once took and edited drum preformance back out of the DAW to a cheap 4 track. It didn't work very well. I didn't get the sound I was hoping for and the track got more and more out of time. Wow and flutter I guess. Re-editing the drums after the tape again didn't work well.

Yep, the tracks will go out of time with each other. Tape machines like that aren't perfectly synced in time, every time you press play you alter the speed a little bit.

If i can help it. I'm recording drums to tape from now on.
drums->tape->monitor off playback head.
finish tape->rewind->dump to pro tools whilst listening to takes.
Rewind tape->start again