Superchunks/Traps Stradling Corners

jeid

Terribad
Mar 9, 2009
Scotland
Is there a huge difference? I've got my traps stradling the corners just now, but I'm likely moving soon and I'm already planning my new room.

Which Rockwool is the best to get? I'm not really sure if it's RW3, RW5 or RW45. I'm in the UK so OC703 isn't available

Are you looking for value? If so 6 inch straddled corners floor to ceiling work well I have them. It costs exactly half the amount to do 8ft floor to ceiling straddled. If you don't mind spending double go superchuck. More time , more money. If I was building a new studio from ground up obviously I'd go superchunk because the cost difference at the point would be minor.

As a starting point, the thicker the trap = the fluffier the wool (low GFR = gas flow resistivity).
But sometimes you gotta make do with what you can get locally.

If you make a SSC, be sure to put up some braces along every meter or so, so that the wool doesn't start to compress.
Anything will do, wooden supports, mesh wire, etc..

I've also read people doing the 4-6" facing and then stuffing the inside with the fluffiest attic insulation they could find.
Edit: but upon reading a bit more, it seems that it's not recommended to mix different densities.