Supergroups?

proulxski said:
I'm sorry but Steve Vai is good, and I don't dislike him or anything but come on... Sure he pulls out some creative songs...But the song it self gets repeatative...I have stated at least 3 or 4 times on the forums and to other people how Vai gets lost in his own world. Perhaps un-creative aint the proper use of words... Perhaps not innovative enough or gets old/borring fast is more of a proper use. I own some of Vai's work myself, i'm not saying he aint a ubber talented and incredible musician. He could probably do anything he wanted to provided he put enough effort and looked 'outside' the Box!

Drugs... that's how you explain such an "opinion."

proulxski said:
I'm sorry but Steve Vai is good, and I don't dislike him or anything but come on... Sure he pulls out some creative songs...But the song it self gets repeatative...I have stated at least 3 or 4 times on the forums and to other people how Vai gets lost in his own world. Perhaps un-creative aint the proper use of words... Perhaps not innovative enough or gets old/borring fast is more of a proper use. I own some of Vai's work myself, i'm not saying he aint a ubber talented and incredible musician. He could probably do anything he wanted to provided he put enough effort and looked 'outside' the Box!

I've been a Vai fan since his days in Zappa's band. To me, nothing tops the
hungry, "baddest guitar player on the planet" attitude Vai displayed in the 80's
Now, I think he's TOO comfortable, and doesn't have the same desire to be the top gun of rock guitar players. I will always remain a fan of his, and his latest cd is the bst he's done in a while.

As for Satch vs. Vai - Vai, no contest. Satriani suffers from the same "too comfortable" syndrome, and I haven't liked anything he's done since The Extremist, and even that felt half hearted.

Also, when it comes down to showmanship, I don't think there is another person on the planet that comes close to Vai.

J-Dubya

Meedleyx10 said:
Steve howe doesn't play with them anymore to my knowledge. Guthrie Govan (who is a MONSTER guitar player) is playing with them now.

Guthrie is quite an amazing guitarist. I was actually tempted to go see Asia just to see him burn it up last time they toured...never did get around to going though...

Yeah man, ive seen some of his vids online and his vids in the latest issue of Guitar Techniques (great magazine if you aren't already aware). Aside from his very unique melodic and phrasing ideas, his chops are killer......great control over the instrument too. I'll confess I haven't listened to much of his stuff with Asia, but I am anxiously awaiing the solo album.

Consortium Project - Brainchild of Ian Parry who has been on a few Ayreon albums. I only have the third album and it's good.

Erik Norlander - The Music Machine is well worth getting especially if you like Ayreon.