Supergroups?

And that makes many less of the musicians mentioned here virtuosos..I'm amazed at how many incredible musicians are actually unable to read sheet music.

Being able to read sheet of music has not got much to do with being virtuoso IMO. If you wanna be technically diverse, it is a plus; but not a "must" to be a virtuoso IMHO...

I think I remember reading somewhere that Arjen doesn't even read sheet music. If that is so, then that makes me more confident in thinking that it's unneccesary. People are just free to learn that way if they want.

I just listened to "The Metal Opera". It's not bad in my opinion. But I was hoping there'd generally be more originality and creativity.

I dont think Jimi could, or Yngwie...but they knew/know there fretboard...

Sight reading tends to be one of those skills you need to learn at a really young age to be really good at it.

No no, you get me wrong. Being a good musician is one thing, being a virtuoso is something else. Of course the names mentioned here are excellent musicians. But i think being a virtuoso should be more like having a mastery on the instrument you play. And if you can't read sheet music, how you will be able to play "anything". I mean a virtuoso should be able to play anything on his/her instrument, am i wrong ?

In the end you could also be right. I don't know. So what is a virtuoso ??? OK, i am shutting up :)

And for the thread, i want to add a name as a "supergroup" :)

"Dali's Dillemma"

Well, you can learn to play stuff without sheets but by just listening to whatever you want to learn to play. I understand this would seem more difficult and more time consuming for many though.

Jax said:
The 'virtuoso' part is a matter of opinion; I wouldn't say that's always a factor, myself.

Its not a factor. Its really when "famous" musicians from various groups (that are also famous) come together to make one or more albums (or form a band).

So yes, Avantasia would be a "supergroup."

turke said:
Not about this topic but, the term virtuoso shouldn't be a matter of opinion i think. Because if it is, then everybody can easily be called a vituoso. I think the term vituoso should be used only for people who can play any sheet that is put in front of them. So musical reading and instument mastery are neccessary.

No offence :)

Well, it depends also. Written out Guitar Tabs can sort of be considered a type of Sheet Music. Here's my personal definition of Virtuoso.

A Virtuoso is someone who has been playing their instrument for many years, can play their instrument exceptionally well, write their music exceptionally well, and yes, can probably look at any piece of music given to them, and tear it up like there's no tomorrow. And that last bit is an exaggeration.

In other words, to me, when I hear the word Guitar paired with Virtuoso, I always instantly think of Steve Vai. When I think about the word for another second, I think of Yngwie Malmsteen, MJR, John Petrucci, and a few others. When I hear Keyboard Virtuoso, I think Mike Pinella. I can go on, but I'll leave it at that.

And everyone else, thanks for the suggestions. I'll add them all to my list of bands to look into.

Jax said:
I'm amazed at how many incredible musicians are actually unable to read sheet music.

So true! I've seen tons of great instrumentalists (mostly guitar & bass) who only read tabs.

Has anyone heard anything more about the proposed supergroup with Akerfeldt, Portnoy, and Wilson?

vir·tu·o·so P Pronunciation Key (vûrch-s, -z)
n. pl. vir·tu·o·sos or vir·tu·o·si (-s)
A musician with masterly ability, technique, or personal style.
A person with masterly skill or technique in the arts.
A person with a strong interest in the fine arts, especially in antiquities.
Archaic. A very learned person.

adj.
Exhibiting the ability, technique, or personal style of a virtuoso: a virtuoso performance.

There. Thats what a virtuoso is. And "mastery" is pretty losely applied. To whoever thinks that Avantasia lacks virtuosity, I could say that many of the singers featured on it are virtuosos, as they have mastered their particular style of singing.

I could even say that Kurt Kobain definitely fits the first definition, as he certainly mastered his personal style of grunge and completely changed the face of popular music at the time.

So in essence, the term virtuoso means jack shit.

I like shred.