Supergroups?

I'd say Ark were a supergroup at least in retrospect because all the members have been in one of more other significant groups or projects. Three have been in Rising Force (Macaluso, Olausson and Lande for a rather brief period), although that doesn't really say much because most people have been in Rising Force. Other notable former-members of Rising Force include Derek Sherinian, Jens Johansson, Mark Boals and UN secretary-general Kofi Annan

Interesting fact for the day:
John Macaluso plays drums for mainstream metal project Starbreaker, whose guitarist, Magnus Karlsson, wrote and performed the guitar and keyboard work on The Battle, featuring the superb vocal talents of Russel Allen and none other than Macaluso's former Ark bandmate, Jørn Lande! It's a small world.

Jørn goes for the Uma Thurman look

I think the thread starter was looking more for rock opera type projects than "supergroups"

Kotvez's Nostradamus
Aina
Missa Mercuria
Genius:Rock Opera
Once and Future King

all of which never quite come close to being succesful...i'd say Arjen is the only one who seems to get it right.

As for what a supergroup is...Yngvai X nailed it in one sentence

Its really when "famous" musicians from various groups (that are also famous) come together to make one or more albums (or form a band).

Like The Travelling Willburys

Van Halen people...Van Halen can't read music and never could if his life depended on it... He obviously isn't same style as most of the bands we listen to, but he is loved by millions! So obviously, not being able to read music doesn't make you bad... Steve Vai is a virtuoso, very technical but not creative enough!.

proulxski said:
Van Halen people...Van Halen can't read music and never could if his life depended on it... He obviously isn't same style as most of the bands we listen to, but he is loved by millions! So obviously, not being able to read music doesn't make you bad... Steve Vai is a virtuoso, very technical but not creative enough!.

steve vai, not creative? You're joking.

I disagree Proulxski, I don't think he's technical or creative. That's right, I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like Steve Vai, nor can I see why the rest of you do.

Gordian Knot are most definitely a supergroup and an exceedingly good one at that.

Warmen, from Finland.

Janne Warman from Children of Bodom, Lauri Porra from Stratovarius, Mirka Rantanen from Thunderstone and Antti Warman from Craydawn.

Montu Sekhmet said:
trans-siberian orchestra, I saw their christmas thing live.

I liked them after hearing a few songs, I loved the concept. I tried really hard to like TSO, but in the end, I'm sorry...the majority of their songs are just bad (lol). They have a few nice ones though. What would be nice is if they took the concept and did something other than a chriatmas themed album. Beethoven's Last Night has a few good ones but not enough; I went right to Fur Elise only to discover that it was performed with the exact same piano sound as when it was first composed. Not to complain about that, but I already have that mp3, thanks....

-Josh

My personal favorite supergroups are LTE and transatlantic. I think Steve Vai's band could be considered a supergroup.........i mean come on, Vai, Sheehan, Macalpine, and (for a short time) Donati in one band? Count me in. The guitar trio is pretty badass too (al dimeola, paco de lucia, and john mglaughlin).

For those who say Vai isn't creative, sorry...........but you are deaf. Thats fine if you don't like him though.

I also don't think being able to read music is that important for fitting the criteria of being a virtuoso. I am a huge supporter of being able to read music and learning theory, etc. I mean somebody can be the best player in the world, but if he can't read and goes to sit in on a jazz gig or something and they put a lead sheet in front of him......guess who isn't playing a second gig. However, take Joe Pass for example (one of the greatest jazz guitar players of all time for those of you who aren't familiar)........the man couldn't read and knew practically no theory at all, and he is still one of the most revered jazz musicians of all time.

I'm sorry but Steve Vai is good, and I don't dislike him or anything but come on... Sure he pulls out some creative songs...But the song it self gets repeatative...I have stated at least 3 or 4 times on the forums and to other people how Vai gets lost in his own world. Perhaps un-creative aint the proper use of words... Perhaps not innovative enough or gets old/borring fast is more of a proper use. I own some of Vai's work myself, i'm not saying he aint a ubber talented and incredible musician. He could probably do anything he wanted to provided he put enough effort and looked 'outside' the Box!