Superior Drummer 3

You running some 56k dial-up or something?! ;)
giphy.gif

Reactions: bryan_kilco
Just downloaded it last night!
I think it sounds cool... theres definitely some cool tones in there but tweaking is required.

Im not one to buy software right when it comes out.. or just get them at all.. i try making use of what
I have first then get whatever is needed.. but I was thinking of picking up EZ drummer with the 2 expansions
bundle for 300.. and saw that i could get superior 3 for 400.. just ended up going with it.

I'll end up getting the metal machine! and made of metal expansions anyways in the near future!
Havent tried the made of metal but the place I worked at before had the metal machine ezx and its
absolutely great! Anyways here's a quick sample video of one of the presets in it, Mark Lewis Pearl BB
no tweaking done to it, just the preset as is, with some volume adjustments.

If I remember correctly, Made of Metal SDX wouldn't be released until Superior was updated so I guess we will see it being released in November.

That would be absolutely amazing! I have yet to try the ezx, but hearing the samples on their site, it sounds great!

Reactions: FIXXXER
I'm looking forward to buying this (OMG I'LL ACTUALLY HAVE THE CASH FOR THE UPGRADE!!!!111)...

but I am not looking forward to that download.

I'm eager to try this drum grid. I loved how BFD3 had this feature (but I really don't like BFD's samples) and I've wondered what a Superior Drummer version would be like. Welp, here we are.

Download wasnt too bad.. took me an hour for the basic sound pack. Havent even gotten the other stuff yet.
I did have to install the sound files on a hard drive though.

I'll end up getting the metal machine! and made of metal expansions anyways in the near future!

Thanks for posting your vid.

I would definitely recommend getting METAL MACHINE - no question there, but would be a little cautious about getting MADE OF METAL. I'm not too impressed with that one. I actually picked up the ROCK!EZX recently and dig it! Esp the kicks.

Thanks for posting your vid.

I would definitely recommend getting METAL MACHINE - no question there, but would be a little cautious about getting MADE OF METAL. I'm not too impressed with that one. I actually picked up the ROCK!EZX recently and dig it! Esp the kicks.

No worries man! I was actually about to make more, but I wasnt too impressed by the other presets there..
I might post one or two more.. but will definitely be doing more once I have the Metal Machine pack

Thanks for the advice! I'm definitely gonna get metal machine soon, hearing from someone puts things into better perspective!
Was there anything specific that put you off made of metal?

Also I did have my eyes on the Rock! ezx a long time ago, round about when it came out, but then i just forgot about it!
Ahh man so much gear to get and not enough money haha. Toontrack should do a one day "balls out" sale and put all their
ezx packs up for $500.. Im sure everyone would go ape shit buying it! :D

just bought this, installed and i must say the first impression is pretty MEH :/
Yeah certainly meh compared to how SD2's stock kit sounded when it came out! But I mainly got it so I can get their EZX's and have a platform to run it on.. and since i didnt have EZ1/2 already, I thought might as well go with this... but what I do love is the song creator feature!
Wow, that's gonna make songwriting a lot more interesting!

unfortunately it's not just the sound, i played around just a little but already found many bugs,
wird noises on the samples, is this what means "pristine" in toontrack language? really dissapointed so far...

downoad is 130KB/s btw, so yeah maybe i can tel more in a few years when the complete download is finished...

FFS this is the biggest piece of shit software i ever spent money on,
right now i could literally kill anyone who is affiliated with Toontrack!

The download took one week to complete, this is simply inacceptable.

After the download you also have to "install" the files for what ever reason?

Why do i have to install something i just spent one fucking week downloading?

Why does the fucking installation take more than SIX hours, what is this shit?

Now comes the best part, after the installation the Toontrack Product manager tells me
to delete the downloaded files to free up disk space.

I've contacted the support, asking what this actually means and if i should do that.
The Support answered that i can delete those files after the installation is complete.

Now, guess what happened? The Product manager freed up quite some disk space
by deleting FUCKING EVERYTHING!

a couple days in and I'm liking it so far... managed to get some ok sounds from it, although had to
blend in some external samples, as usual.

Fixxxer, bad to hear that! For me it took maybe 10hours from beginning download and installing. Even the Free Diskspace worked without deleting my installation. I would contact the support on this. I think you won´t regret it! It sounds different than SD2 and those packs. Different to mix, but I think it´s better. The stacking alone is great and those room - ambient channels are superb. I haven´t heard that good ambient/room tones from a drum vst before!

i am not sure, i do not jnow what it is but SD3 has left a very bad impression
from when it was announced to when i purchased and tried to use it.

the sounds are not convincing either, everything has that typical dull and lifeless toontrack signature sound.
it's also strange that some kit pieces sound fairly good where others simply suck, like they were recorded at two different
places by two different people with completely different gear.

some samples also sound very very familiar to what i've heard from various SDX's in the past few years.

btw. right now i am installing from an SSD to another SSD and it takes forever,
it's been 1,5 hours for now and the installation for one part of the library is about 60% done,
i'm giving up, i no not really like the sounds from the core library so the best thing is trying to sell it
and once and forever forget about toontrack...

I was hoping Superior 3 would blow my mind, instead I was underwhelmed by what I heard. The samples on you tube sound very blahh and most don't even seem to mix with the music very well.

The room and ambiance mics have me intrigued, but if they are accompanied by mediocre sounds I'm simply not interested.

well, the installation took forever and after it was done guess what?
i opened up SD3 and get an error message "the library fpr SD3 is
damaged and needs to be reinstalled" or something similar.

The Toontrack support doesn't give a fuck either, this is so sad.

My experience so far:

Mostly good. It took around the time that I'd thought it would to download the first 150 GB or so. I downloaded the surround samples during the last 20 hours, with no issues. Installing the last part now. Installation is pretty slow, and I think I see why. I went into CPU Temp, and noticed that the installer is using only one of my four cores even though Process Manager says that the affinity for the installer is set to use all 4. So that's mostly on Toontrack's programming, I think. I did have an issue trying to install directly out of the TT Manager. I was getting a message saying that _____________________.obw couldn't be copied. However, I was able to get around this by launching the installer directly out of Windows Explorer.

I like the features a lot. I'd like to see some improvements made to the grid editor, especially compared to BFD3's, which has articulations and "humanization"/randomization options. I never tried EZD2, but I like the song creator a lot, so that's new to me. RAM usage is a bit out of control when not using the cached mode, but I guess that was to be expected. I have 16 GB ram, and with guitar and bass samples, I can see that maxing out easily. So I can see myself upgrading to 32 GB ram, which I was planning on anyway.

I'm liking the new samples, but I haven't spent an abundance of time tweaking them either, so I'll need to reserve my judgment until I get the full sample set (which is almost done as I speak) installed and I spend more time tweaking/mixing. The new drum sample tuning algorithm sounds FAR more natural, to me at least. I DO like the new effects, but I still see the need to use external processing, either in the box or out.

So far, I think this a good start for a new release but I definitely see areas where improvements are needed.

That said, I despise the fact that TT is charging extra to get the samples pre-installed on a SSD. Especially at that price point for people who are upgrading. But at the same time, I don't know if I'd trust that. When I received the Progressive Foundry thumb drive, it was corrupt upon arrival (plugged it right in, tried to install, and it was all f'd up) and I was forced to download it.