Superior Drummer and all that good programming stuff.

JoshuaHornerline

New Metal Member
Aug 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK.
Hey guys, I kinda wanted to introduce myself and what not on this forum and ask some questions as well.

About me:
My name is Josh, I'm 16 and I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I started "producing" music at the beginning of this year. I started out recording some acoustic stuff for a friend with some condensors and immediately fell in love with it. I started getting serious about it and learning as much as I possible can. I've come to realize that I have found my true passion and hopefully something I'll do for the rest of my life. I'm just now getting into bands and learning all the elements it takes to produce a good band mix. I love all kinds of music. I can go to listening from the heaviest shit ever to the most mellow jam you've ever heard. Mostly my inspiration for producing is a local guy who produces amazing stuff. He's truely a fucking genius, he has learned everything on his own and produces some of the best music I've ever heard. His mixes are open and beautiful. In your face guitar tone, crazy drums, amazing bass. Just overall great stuff. He's definitely my top inspiration for producing. I also like Joey Sturgis, Andy Sneap, Colin Richardson. All very talented producers with skill I only dream of having. I've pretty much come to this forum for help, guidance, and to meet others who share the same passion as I do.

Onto more important things.

My biggest focus right now is drums. Very very soon I could be recording a well known local band. This has added 10x more stress and worry to learning what I'm doing and all that. I'm sure we can all agree here that drums are the backbone to all music. If you have a kick ass sounding drum track in your music, then it's going to sound a hell of a lot better. Right now, unfortunately I cannot mic up a real kit and use it. Therefore I must go with samples to create a realistc sounding drum track. But there's one problem....
I DUNNO WHAT THE FUCK IM DOING!! Sure, I have a general idea as to what I'm doing. But, I need some sort of guidance. Personally, I want my mixes to be big, open, loud, and to keep somewhat of that natural essence to it. I don't want to use drum replacement unless I absolutely have to. Sure, I dig Joey Sturgis stuff, but I don't want to sound exactly like him. I would much rather draw influence from him to create my own "sound". As the same with everyone else I look up to.

I use Superior Drummer. I'm pretty positive nearly all of you know about this program. I also have Steven Slate Drum Samples EX. But, I only want to use those unless I must. Honestly, I find the kit in SD to be more for indie, pop, jazz, blues type of music. Not metal and hard rock type stuff. I absolutely love SD, it's a fantastic program and I feel like I have a real kit right there before me ready to process. I've been looking at the Metal Foundy SDX. Would that be more for what I'm looking for? I like clicky kicks, but not overally clicky. I love punchy toms that just kick you in yer ass when they're played, I love a snare with a good punch and snap to it. But not overkill.

Basically, guys, I would love to know how and what to do with drums. More specifically within the Superior Drummer VSTi. Compression, EQ, etc, etc. Give me some detailed tips and advice. Show me other topics on the forum that will help me learn and get better at it. And if you use SD, please, let me know. I want to learn to use that. I have heard some of the stuff people have made using it and I can't believe my ears it's a VST. Thank you so much!

Just to show you guys a bit of what my friend, Ryan, produces here is some of his more recent work:
Now you guys can see why I am inspired by him and his stuff. It keeps some of that natural element to it, but its still something the kids my age and up are wanting to hear. This is what I want to produce.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of threads regarding Superior Drummer and processing it on this forum. There are tons of presets floating around as well. Try to dig up some of that stuff, and have a vision for your project.

Here's an honest answer: If you have absolutely no idea what you're doing with drum sounds, I really suggest you figure out what works for you, and get a product you're happy with before you start recording other bands's material. You're definitely going if you make a mistake on your first important project, stumble around, and can't deliver to your first real clients, you will get a bad rep from the start. I'm sure Ryan will help you out; he used Superior for quite a while before he recorded real drums.

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=007593...cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza

There's your link. Find what material helps you best, and good luck.

Cheers,

Greg

Good luck.

Thanks for your answer man. I guess I should have been more specific. Yeah, I do know what I'm doing but then again there are a lot of things that are foggy to me. I've been getting familiar with the frequency spectrum, learning how to use compression, and all that good stuff. I want to get the fundamentals down, you know?
Definitely. He's helped me a ton and has been really awesome with support and what not. He got me started on using Superior drummer. Thanks again for you reply, I'm gonna be doing some digging tomorrow!

hey josh, come find me on facebook. I'm a tulsa native as well. I'm happy to help with anything.

My name is Jay White, and I'm brown. I'm awesome. Just text me or something.

Youtube has a wealth of information on SD. Also, I think Ola (Goddamn Guitar on this forum) made a tutorial video for SD not too long back.

Quite insightful and funny at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator: