SUSPYRE!!!

I don't get it... every second or third band over which this board goes apeshit sounds, to me, like a Symphony X clone band. First it was old Adagio, then Circus Maximus, and now Suspyre. Perhaps it's simply because I worship The Divine Wings of Tragedy, but I doubt that's the reason.

My finger is SOOOO not on the pulse of this community.

Then again, I did vote for Jimmy Buffet.

booB said:
I don't get it... every second or third band over which this board goes apeshit sounds, to me, like a Symphony X clone band. First it was old Adagio, then Circus Maximus, and now Suspyre.

You've got issues, and I'd love to help you with them. :lol::lol::lol:

I don't understand the comparison we get to Symphony X. First off, I never even heard of them until most of the first album was written, so the "clone" argument becomes one of coincidence, if there is any similarity. But the main reason is, Symphony X has one guitar player who acts like a solo musician and plays virtuosically, we have two, who play much different roles. We have guitar melodies, harmonized video-game-music sections, and parts when one of us is playing chords while the other plays a counter-melody to the vocals. Symphony X never does that. Michael Romeo usually plays low chunky rhythmic riffs with lots of squeals, which is awesome, but we rarely do that. The arranging of parts is so different. Yeah, we have orchestral parts to our songs and so do they, but so do many other bands. Anyway, I already made this rant on our official forum. Saying we sound like Symphony X is like saying Iron Maiden sounds like Manowar because they both use E C D progressions.

booB said:
I don't get it... every second or third band over which this board goes apeshit sounds, to me, like a Symphony X clone band. First it was old Adagio, then Circus Maximus, and now Suspyre. Perhaps it's simply because I worship The Divine Wings of Tragedy, but I doubt that's the reason.

My finger is SOOOO not on the pulse of this community.

Then again, I did vote for Jimmy Buffet.

Interesting....inaccurate, but interesting none the less!:headbang:
Point to note....Doesn't Michael Romeo look and sound amazingly like
another guitarist........Mr. Y. Malmsteen perhaps?

I think emulation whether it's intentional or not, is not nessessarily a bad thing, but rather paying homage to those that have inspired you.
However, that being said I like variety in my metal, I don't think any of those bands sound like Symphony X, they all have their own identities and are each amazing in their own rights. As I believe Symphony X are amazing and not
a clone of anyone either.

Personally one of my favorite bands of the 80's was KINGDOM COME and
they most certainly sounded like ZEPPLIN intentionally, but I liked it, I missed Zepplin at that time ; )

GreggSuspyre said:
I don't understand the comparison we get to Symphony X. First off, I never even heard of them until most of the first album was written, so the "clone" argument becomes one of coincidence, if there is any similarity. But the main reason is, Symphony X has one guitar player who acts like a solo musician and plays virtuosically, we have two, who play much different roles. We have guitar melodies, harmonized video-game-music sections, and parts when one of us is playing chords while the other plays a counter-melody to the vocals. Symphony X never does that. Michael Romeo usually plays low chunky rhythmic riffs with lots of squeals, which is awesome, but we rarely do that. The arranging of parts is so different. Yeah, we have orchestral parts to our songs and so do they, but so do many other bands. Anyway, I already made this rant on our official forum. Saying we sound like Symphony X is like saying Iron Maiden sounds like Manowar because they both use E C D progressions.
Hey Gregg,

Actually, as someone new to your music and also someone who is a HUGE fan of Symphony X, I agree with you. Your rhythmic style to me is more reminiscent of European flavored power metal with strong prog elements showing through on certain songs. Whereas, as you mentioned, SyX is full of low chunky rhythms and not so much of the playing 1/2 note and 1/4 note held chords behind neo-classical flavored solos! Ahhhh... there it is! If you play neoclassical these days, you may be comapred to Yngwie or Romeo! :lol: Yes, yo have some crunchier parts with the occasional pick harmonic, but that still doesn't make you a SyX clone.

Now, where I would agree with booB (God help me), is the comparison of Adagio and Circus Maximus to SyX. However, I find that Adagio is more of a "clone" than CM -- although to me, Adagio is more of a "poor man's SyX" since they follow the "recipe" more closely. No doubt, CM shows their SyX love loud and clear at times (as well as DT), but I still think they have a sound of their own and I love their music. I can't wait for their next CD after hearing the new material at PP!

I wouldn't worry about the comparisons, people always like to fit everything into a nice, neat compartment. Besides, that's a nice compliment to be compared to SyX!!

It will be cool to actually see you guys live in person and to work together on the same show. Sorry I won't be able to catch the show at the NJ Proghouse. We already had bought tickets back in the spring to see Queensryche in Baltimore for theat same night. So, see you in less than two weeks in Brooklyn! By any chance are you going to make it down to Jaxx the night before?

Later!

Glad you understand! I do think Adagio sounds like a "clone," but there are some differences. I honestly don't like Forte's playing as much as Romeo's; his tone is weak and thin, his riffs are nothing I haven't heard, and his phrasing isn't all that special. He's technically fantastic, but there should be more than that. However, I love Adagio's orchestral sections. They're more atonal and rhythmically interesting than most of Symphony X's stuff (the beginning of The Odyssey sounds way too much like a Disney World advertisement for me to take seriously). So that's the reason I listen to Adagio. I like their singer too (on Underworld that is), but Russell Allen is definitely my favorite.
I haven't heard Circus Maximus...maybe I will check them out.
It's going to be awesome to actually see you guys...looking forward to it. I doubt we can make it to Jaxx, since it's about 4 hours away, heh.

GreggSuspyre said:
Glad you understand! I do think Adagio sounds like a "clone," but there are some differences. I honestly don't like Forte's playing as much as Romeo's; his tone is weak and thin, his riffs are nothing I haven't heard, and his phrasing isn't all that special. He's technically fantastic, but there should be more than that. However, I love Adagio's orchestral sections. They're more atonal and rhythmically interesting than most of Symphony X's stuff (the beginning of The Odyssey sounds way too much like a Disney World advertisement for me to take seriously). So that's the reason I listen to Adagio. I like their singer too (on Underworld that is), but Russell Allen is definitely my favorite.
I haven't heard Circus Maximus...maybe I will check them out.
It's going to be awesome to actually see you guys...looking forward to it. I doubt we can make it to Jaxx, since it's about 4 hours away, heh.
Cool. True, there are differences, my point is that they are the closest to "clone" status. :lol:

I fully agree about Firte vs. Romeo, riffs, tone, phrasing, across the board. I have seen them perform and it was NOTHING compared to the mighty SyX.

Now, that's pretty funny! I know a few other people that describe The Odyssey EXACTLY like that!!! I happen to like it, but then again, I haven't digging into it quite like you have. No doubt that Russell Allen is DA MAN! I love his voice, stage presence, etc...

Circus Maximus is awesome! Their guitarist was phenomenal at PP this year too! Great tone and phrasing. I'm sure there are some sources on the net you can find some samples, tracks or whatever to try them out before you lay down you hard-earned money. I love 'em, but different strokes for different folks! Its all good! :) I'll likely have some with me when I come up to Brooklyn, so maybe then. I'm also hoping to make the Baltimore show (since it is the closest to my house), but we have band practice that day at Matt's and he's just short of 2 hours south of there (I'm about 45 minutes north). Plus, it is the same day as his birthday and it is one of those "special" ones. :lol: If I get up the road in time, I wil definitely be there, but I can't make any promises yet. :(

Thanks, likewise! Looking forward to meeting you and the rest of the band as well! COngrats on your own thread! :kickass:

Hey thx! That's exactly what always hoped the site would do, turn metal fans onto some great bands, than buy the band's music so these bands would make more (and tour more too)!

Dave! I met your wife during PPVII this year! She is a very sweet woman and she spoke well of you. I LOVE BeyondEarCandy! I am always up for hearing new Metal bands.

I love this band! I have been spinning the first album over and over again as of late. I am a huge fan Symphony X and I don't get the clone thing. Keep doing what you are doing boys as it works for me.

Dave! I met your wife during PPVII this year! She is a very sweet woman and she spoke well of you. I LOVE BeyondEarCandy! I am always up for hearing new Metal bands.
That's awesome to hear! I also post about site updates on myspace, if you got a myspace go out & add to me, and Michelle has an account there too. Keep in touch.

Suspyre's ARTWORK has still not arrived to Nightmare so we are having to
reshedule the release date with our distributors, an OFFICIAL release date
is not available at the moment, but it's looking like late JANUARY to Early
Feb 2007 at the moment. We'll know for sure when we get it in our hands
to the pressing plant and get a return date in our hands.

Suspyre's ARTWORK has still not arrived to Nightmare so we are having to
reshedule the release date with our distributors, an OFFICIAL release date
is not available at the moment, but it's looking like late JANUARY to Early
Feb 2007 at the moment. We'll know for sure when we get it in our hands
to the pressing plant and get a return date in our hands.

Can I just say... A Great Divide is absolutely phenomenal.

Haha...you'll hear it in due time. As you may have heard, the artwork is just taking forever to get done, so it's going to be delayed. We'll upload another song to our Myspace page around Christmas time. You can also hear some new stuff if you attend one of our concerts. We're going to try to play a couple of songs off the new album.

haha well it's absolutely unfair that you guys have heard it. and i haven't

=(