SUSPYRE!!!

I don't get it... every second or third band over which this board goes apeshit sounds, to me, like a Symphony X clone band. First it was old Adagio, then Circus Maximus, and now Suspyre. Perhaps it's simply because I worship The Divine Wings of Tragedy, but I doubt that's the reason.

My finger is SOOOO not on the pulse of this community.

Then again, I did vote for Jimmy Buffet.

Dood they sound nothing alike. What ju talkin bout? I couldnt have said it better than the fellow jerseyite GregSuspyre from the band said it.

I don't get it... every second or third band over which this board goes apeshit sounds, to me, like a Symphony X clone band.
I'll agree with you om your first point; I think this board, taken as a whole, has a tendency to overrate bands.

First it was old Adagio...
This I don't get. As others have said in this thread, and as I've said before, Adagio (IMO) is nothing more than a poor man's SX.

...then Circus Maximus...
I think CM is a very good band, that need to cultivate a bit more of their own style to cross the threshold to greatness.

...and now Suspyre.
While there's clearly an SX influence that runs through this band, I wouldn't call them a clone. I think they're a very promising young band. I'm very curious to hear the next disc and see how their sound evolves.

Zod

To be fair I just listened again, and the production isnt as bad as I remembered but still not to great either (Im real fussy with my Drum production sound).

The vocals are so so, at times I dig em, and at times Im not diggin em. Perhaps I'll give em another chance. They definately have the potential to blossom and become great. Very talented.

Really look forward to a sophmore release.

Dont think the SX comparison is all that. I dont hear them to be clones at all. A little similarities but not clones.

Circus Maximus a SX clone? LOL I find that so untrue. If anything they sound like a vocalized Liquid Tension Experiment!

While there's clearly an SX influence that runs through this band, I wouldn't call them a clone. I think they're a very promising young band. I'm very curious to hear the next disc and see how their sound evolves.

Apparently, there's not a SX influence... Gregg says they've never heard of SX. Fair enough... and maybe they're not a SX clone, but that was the distinct impression I got from the one song I heard from their Myspace page (neoclassical proggy power metal + Russ-Allen-like vocals = SX clone, in my book). I wasn't saying it as a bad thing, per se... not only are Suspyre good at what they do, but Symphony X is good company to be in, period. (In fact, I happen to think they should play ProgPower sometime... I'd just prefer for it to be a different year than SX plays. ;) ) It's just that I've heard enough of this type of metal already. Apparently, I'm the only one here who thinks so.

But then, I should know better than to post anything even SLIGHTLY negative on this board about one of the board's "sweetheart" bands. Anytime I open my mouth (keyboard?) about Circus "Backwards 'S'" Maximus, or Stride, or Pagan's Mind, or any other band that everyone here loves who I don't think is the second coming of Christ, people think it's their civic duty to set me straight.

Suspyre kicked ass at the Hook tonight. One of the tightest, most energized sets I've seen them do yet. Downloading picts. now. Have 'em up soon.

WREKage radio here in Atlanta, GA has been spinning some of the new tracks lately. You guys could tune in every Friday at midnight to request some. There's also a live online feed if I'm not mistaken. :D

N.

Live feed (hi- and lo-bit), yep. Plus you can go back and listen to the show for a full week. Didn't play Suspyre this past weekend, but I did play new Arsis, plus PoS, Tarot, Pyramaze, Slough Feg.....

www.wrek.org has the best links for the archive
www.wrekage.org has playlists for the show (6 hours)

Haha - thanks for the bump. I don't know how realistic it is that we'd ever play ProgPower...

The release of the new CD is also seeming unrealistic; I just found out its release date has been pushed back yet again.

How did I miss this thread...I'm so out of the loop. Gregg might not have heard of Symphony X until recently, but I certainly have. I have to kind of look at it like this:

The fact that we are even being mentioned in the same sentence as Symphony X makes me happy. Russel Allen is easily my favorite singer. Suspyre certainly has elements that make us sound very similar, but in no way do I think we are a clone. Gregg has gone on his rants about it so I won't elaborate (you're funny Gregg and you get worked up way too easily...heh).

The album comes out in a little over a month...and I'm interested to hear how people react to it. The new album is different than tthe first. I came into the band with the first album basically done. All I had to do was record vocals. The new album was written with the new sound in mind (a little heavier, more progressive, etc.) because I like to think I added a different element to the band. They had never had a singer like Russel Allen who could be heavy at times and very melodic at other times. The new album really expresses who Suspyre is. I can't wait to hear the reactions.

Clay~~Suspyre

I'd definitely love to see Suspyre play the showcase. I'd love to see them warm up for the "as-yet-unconfirmed-though-we've-all-bought-tix" Symphony X show. I'd like to see you play somewhere, right now. It's been a while. I need my fix.