Swans

speed

Nov 19, 2001
Visit site
Any fans of the Swans out there? I find them to be a most enchanting band. Literally, one goes into a strange melancholy trance when listening to Michael Gira or Jarboe wail and croon, or even recite most terrifying verse and lyrics to the sounds of industrial/electronic/gothic/classical/alternative. In many ways, a trance-like state that is somehow heavier, and more pissed off than one I'd enter listening to metal.

Favorite album?

Favorite, or favorite songs?

Reactions: Treesinger
:lol:

We should stop meeting like this! I do indeed enjoy the Swans. I like Filth and The Burning World most.

I came across them because they had a reputation for making people sick at shows because of the abrasive volume of the instruments, and a friend of mine recommended them one day after we listened to Sunn O))).

They were on compilation CD along with Joy Division I've had laying around for years, too.

:lol:

We should stop meeting like this! I do indeed enjoy the Swans. I like Filth and The Burning World most.

I came across them because they had a reputation for making people sick at shows because of the abrasive volume of the instruments, and a friend of mine recommended them one day after we listened to Sunn O))).

They were on compilation CD along with Joy Division I've had laying around for years, too.

We must share some blood or something on your Irish side.

Hehe. I honestly cant pick a favorite Swans album because I like them all. I love the industrial Cop/Young God/Greed period, as much as the later melodic and haunting WHite Light and Great Annhilator period.

But Children of God I suppose has to be my favorite. What an album!

Children of God is an excellent album and one of my favourites. However, you have to be a really cynical person to really appreciate it. It mocks humanity in a very ungentle way - it feels almost uncomfortable to listen to it.

Children of God is an excellent album and one of my favourites. However, you have to be a really cynical person to really appreciate it. It mocks humanity in a very ungentle way - it feels almost uncomfortable to listen to it.

That might be why its one of my favorite albums!

i enjoy latter Swans much more. Burning World, Love of Life, Great Annhilator, and White Light especially. I really cant get into Soundtracks for the Blind. I've got the Children of God/World of Skin 2CD thing. I actually prefer the World of SKin disc.

That being said, Ten SOngs From Another World is fantastic.

I have heard Cop/Young God and found it to be quite crap.

i enjoy latter Swans much more. Burning World, Love of Life, Great Annhilator, and White Light especially. I really cant get into Soundtracks for the Blind. I've got the Children of God/World of Skin 2CD thing. I actually prefer the World of SKin disc.

That being said, Ten SOngs From Another World is fantastic.

I have heard Cop/Young God and found it to be quite crap.

Well, the Cop/Young God period was so early--1984--and thus Swans were creating an entirely new musical style of distorted industrial sludge. It has its moments however.

*BUMP*

Swans are one of the most underrated bands ever in my opinion. Their body of work was just so original and influential on so many styles of music. I've always been surprised that they aren't more well-known.

I'm definitely more a fan of the later stuff. I'd say that Love of Life is my favorite work from them, though all of their later albums are amazing. "Love Will Save You" is such a haunting song, and "Mother/Father" is so intense. :worship:

Swans are amazing. Definitely one of my favourite bands. I also prefer the Jarboe era stuff over the earlier stuff (though the early stuff is pretty awesome in its own right). I think my favourite is probably The Great Annihilator but it'd be hard to pick one.

Some of the solo work by Gira and Jarboe is also amazing, though the more recent Jarboe releases have been quite disappointing (as was the collaboration with J.K. Broadrick, and I had such high hopes for that one).

I agree with you about their solo work and post-Swans material. Gira's stuff has been pretty consistent, but Jarboe has released some very disappointing material.

Have you listened to any of Gira's spoken word releases? I never got around to finding those. Just wondering what they are like.

I was exposed to Swans at a bad time: right after seeing Borknager, Witchery, Divine Empire, and the mighty Emperor live. It was one of their experimental albums and to me sounded like a couple of sick dinosaurs trying to fuck. I'm sure it's wrong but at that time they sounded so horrible to me that I never revisited them.

Have you listened to any of Gira's spoken word releases? I never got around to finding those. Just wondering what they are like.

I haven't. I always wanted to check them out, so thanks for reminding me they existed.

I oscillate between 'White Light..' and 'Annihilator'. Can't say what my favorite song is... Usually, with most bands, the heavier songs are my favorite - not so with the Swans. Gira's such a badass crooner that even his slow songs sound punk as fuck.

I love Soundtracks for the Blind and To be Kind personally, but I haven't listened to any of their early stuff yet. Will check Filth, Cop, Greed etc. out one day, they're on my list of albums to listen to.