Swedish Crustpunk

theunknown1

Jul 28, 2011
Hi! Here is my oneman crustpunk band. Recorded everything in my untreated bedroom just for fun with my digi 003.

Drums: No triggers.
Kick: beta52.
Snare: sm57
Toms: Audix D2
Overheds: Oktava mk012

Guitars: Peavy 5150 with Sm57 of axis.

Bass: DI and "Soft tube bass amp room"

Vox Sm 57 and pre 73

Any comments or criticism would be appreciated.

/Cheers Michael!

Last edited by a moderator:
this is fucking awesome! sounds angry and raw, which is perfect for the style. maybe even more dirt would help this mix! bass distorsion, tape distorsion on guitars and maybe a little guitar feedback added in some places would add some rawness. from there it's just mastering. more tape warmth to bring separation to a minimum, maybe adding some lowend to bring out the thump of the kick and a little lower lowend to make the bass roar. the vocals are just perfect, I wouldn't change anything. sounds even better and angrier than totalt jävla mörker!

btw, maybe you want to check out a band of similar genre (punkish d-beat hardcore) that I mixed and mastered? doesn't sound as real as this, 'cause we used superior drummer. but not to many people get this genre, and it'd be fun to have your opinion.
http://totemskin.bandcamp.com/

Perfect for the style - those shells sound great if they're not samples.

Thanks alot! I really appreciate it.
No samples on the drums. Though there is some heavy EQ and Reverb since my bedroom don´t sound that nice for drums :p It´s all down to have new skins and good tuning :)

this is fucking awesome! sounds angry and raw, which is perfect for the style. maybe even more dirt would help this mix! bass distorsion, tape distorsion on guitars and maybe a little guitar feedback added in some places would add some rawness. from there it's just mastering. more tape warmth to bring separation to a minimum, maybe adding some lowend to bring out the thump of the kick and a little lower lowend to make the bass roar. the vocals are just perfect, I wouldn't change anything. sounds even better and angrier than totalt jävla mörker!

btw, maybe you want to check out a band of similar genre (punkish d-beat hardcore) that I mixed and mastered? doesn't sound as real as this, 'cause we used superior drummer. but not to many people get this genre, and it'd be fun to have your opinion.
http://totemskin.bandcamp.com/

Thanks! Im really glad to hear that you like it! Just a bedroom recording and 2h mix but im quite happy with it :)
There is ALOT of bass disortion and tape distortion on the guitars but I get what you mean. I think a recorded the guitars with a bit to less dist. The peavy 5150 is not really that evil, it´s better for metal than really angry punk.
There really is not much going on mastering wise, just a squashed limiter and som light EQ. So yeah i could work on that a bit more, but well see if I have the time haha.

I just listend to a couple of your songs. I think it sounds good! But yeah as you said the thing that would really made this rock is recording real drums. But it´s a nice mix, everything seems to be were it should be I think. But this a a genre that really needs that live raw feeling wich you don´t really get with superior. But I think you did the best possible of the siuation. :)

/Michael