Sweep-picking problem

MetallicSlayerDeth

Staring into your soul...
Sep 1, 2009
Sweden
Ok, so I've actually got started on sweeps and it's going pretty well. Except for one thing. I lay this pattern:

EI--------7--10p7----------7--10p7--------I
BI-----8------------8----8------------8-----I
GI--7-----------------7-----------------7---I
......d.d..d....u......u.d..d..d....u......u.d

Now the problem is that when I lift my indexfinger from the G-string it becomes lika a pulloff so t sounds like this:

EI--------7--10p7----------7--10p7--------I
BI-----8------------8----8------------8-----I
GI--7p0---------------7p0--------------7---I
......d.d..d....u......u..d.d..d....u......u.d

Please help me if you understand what I mean:)

Its sorta just what happens. If your playing with other people you wont be able to notice it or anyone else. And as deth proved, neither will you really. If you want to be all virtuoso-y then you can put something over the head stock to help mute the open strings like a hair band etc. Spose you could try reeeeeaaaaaaaaly slowing your technique down and perfecting it but. Meh. I do the same btw :)

the open is because your finger flicks the string. its ultra hard to do but when you pull off try and roll your finger off instead of lifting so it kind of mutes it but doesn't give it a flick. hard to explain without showing it.

that and as stated above try and mute more with your picking hand. the other guitarist in my band uses his thumb lot to do this on the way down to mute strings he has already picked. I cant do it but it seems to work for him

You just have to palm mute it afterwards.

FUCK. I knew it, that shit is hard as fuck.

Can'tsee your mom doing any harm

:lol:

the open is because your finger flicks the string. its ultra hard to do but when you pull off try and roll your finger off instead of lifting so it kind of mutes it but doesn't give it a flick. hard to explain without showing it.

that and as stated above try and mute more with your picking hand. the other guitarist in my band uses his thumb lot to do this on the way down to mute strings he has already picked. I cant do it but it seems to work for him

Nice advice, Mr. Cooley !!!

Can'tsee your mom doing any harm

...That's almost a valid point...

Its sorta just what happens. If your playing with other people you wont be able to notice it or anyone else. And as deth proved, neither will you really. If you want to be all virtuoso-y then you can put something over the head stock to help mute the open strings like a hair band etc. Spose you could try reeeeeaaaaaaaaly slowing your technique down and perfecting it but. Meh. I do the same btw :)

Where exactly do you put that shit and what else could you use?