Sweep Tapping

Napalmdeath92

New Metal Member
Jul 7, 2008
Miami, Florida
0.o jesus it's difficult.
I've been consistently practicing the sweep tapping interlude of sea of lies for about 3 weeks and i just cant get it clean, very frustrating :erk:

Does anyone have an intersting method they used to get it down right?

if you do please post it ill love you forever :worship:

I'm not sure what "sweep-tapping" section you're talking about....in the 3rd solo there's one spot where a sweep-tap might be necessary, but that's it. If you're talking about the bit that starts at 2:36 (after the second guitar solo), that's all tapping/hammers/pulls with string-skips.

As for sweep-tapping (something I don't really like to refer to or think of as a technique unto itself)...I'm going to assume you're making the mistake most people do. Make sure you have both techniques down before trying to put them together, or you'll never get anywhere. Difficulty in "sweep-tapping" would only arise from sort of deficiency in either sweeping or tapping technique. The only real "trick" to doing them consecutively that some people don't think to do is to keep your picking hand closer to your fretting hand (even right over the fretboad if necessary) while doing this rather than keeping it back near the bridge where it would normaly be. Keep your picking hand back near the bridge while sweeping and then swinging it all the way forward for a tapped note, then back, etc. creates a lot of unnecessary motion that will greatly prevent you from pulling this off cleanly.

I do the same. I wonder at why a lot of guitarists seem to think picking over the fretboard is taboo. I can't do sweep though, so that element of this technique is out for me.

hmm when i sweep and add taps i sweep normally near the bridge and then move my hand way over yonder to tap. dunno, its just how i do it. ive been experimenting in starting in a tap and doing a sweep down but not using my pick and just legato'ing it. if that makes any sense :lol: i know romeo has done that sometimes

often the sweep ends up legato on the way back down, so say a basic Am7 arpeggio, I'll start on the 12 fret / fifth string, sweep pick up to the G on the high E string (15th fret), tap the high A on the 17th fret, and then legato back down while my picking hand gets ready for the next sweep... Other instances are different, but that's a common one...

im glad that happens to other people because i thought that was cheating :lol:

There's no such thing as cheating in music. If it sounds good, then play it like that. Some parts will sound better if using legato even if it's harder to pick all the notes accurately. Do what's more natural for you and stick to it.

I thought the range of a guitar was only 4 octaves, are all of these 4 octave sweeps starting on E? :lol:

-----------------------12--15--20--15--12---------------------|
---------------------11-------------------11-------------------|
------------------12------------------------12-----------------|
---------------14-----------------------------14---------------|
-----7--10--15----------------------------------15--10--7-----|
---8-------------------------------------------------------8---|

sorry, they're probably 3 octave, but I tap up to the C which would be the beginning of a 4th octave if I was doing a C major arpeggio...

I sweep over the neck sometimes if I'm doing sweep tapping, but I've found over time that the tone of the strings isn't as good when you do that, so I try now to just quickly move back to the bridge area as fast as I can :). Also, if you're doing the 2nd inversion sweep shapes that don't require any barring, you can always just hammer the shape back down giving your picking hand more time to get back into position.

I think its important to be comfortable doing all 3 inversions of major and minor arpeggios. Thats the only way to get those huge Becker style passages. Learn to tap an extra note on the barre shapes as well ;).

uhhh....what?

There are only 3 inversions of triads...possibly two because some texts don't consider root-position to be an inversion (which it technically isn't, but it's kind of a semantics thing). To identify a chord's inversion is just to identify which note is in the bass of the chord (i.e. what the lowest note is). The order of the other two notes above that is irrelevant to identifying whether it is in root position, 1st inversion (3rd in bass), or 2nd inversion (5th in bass)...the only time the order of the two notes would matter for notation purposes (aside from actually writing the notes on the staff...duh:loco:) would be if you are writing out the figured bass symbols...but there's no need to get into that here:). Inversion is not a different word for fingering patterns or fretboard location...and even if it were, there are WAY more than 4.

theres 4

two 5 and two 6

ok, gonna take you thought a bit of sweep picking 101 haha. This has been one of the most requested techniques I've had students ask me to teach them, so I've developed a pretty good, somewhat methodical, approach to sweep arps.

I'll preface this by making sure you know what a triad is and how it is made up. Since "sweep arpeggios" on guitar are almost *always* referring to the standard "neoclassical" sweep shapes that Yngwie made popular, we're going to focus on regular major and minor triads to start with. A triad is made up of the first, 3rd, and 5th notes of a major scale. If the 3rd note is lowered a half step, it becomes a flat (b) 3rd, and makes the chord a minor chord.

So if we have an A major scale (A B C# D E F# G#) the root, 3rd, and 5th would be A, C#, and E. If we wanted to make it an A minor chord, we'd lower the C# to a C natural (thus making it A, C, E).

A triad has what is known as 3 inversions, meaning, the order in which the notes can be spelt. Root position, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion. Root position spells the chord exactly as it is generated, starting with the root, then the 3rd, then the 5th (1, 3, 5). 1st inversion moves the 1 up an octave, effectively putting the 3rd in the bass (3, 5, 1). Finally, 2nd inversion takes the 3rd into the next octave, putting the 5th in the bass (5, 1, 3).

So going back to our A major chord example, the 3 inversions would be:

root: A C# E
1st inversion: C# E A
2nd inversion: E A C#

When we play sweep arpeggios, we are playing different fingerings for each of these 3 inversions up the fretboard. I typically introduce a simple 2 string sweep shape (used a lot by Ritchie Blackmore and Yngwie as well) that looks something like this:

Code:
A minor 2 string sweep 2nd inversion

D    D  D    D  D   etc...
e|--12p8----12p8----12p8----12p8----
b|-------10------10------10------10-
g|----------------------------------

root position

e|--17p12----17p12----17p12----
b|--------13-------13-------13-
g|-----------------------------

1st inversion

e|--8p5---8p5---8p5---8p5---
b|------5-----5-----5-----5-
g|--------------------------

yeah, yeah, I'm calling the inversions based on what note is the highest note, that'll make sense when we move onto the 3 string and 5 string shapes (because in 3 and 5 string shapes, the top and bottom note are the same, so even though in my 2 string "2nd inversion" shape the root note is in the bass, the 5th will be in the bass in both the 3 and 5 string variations of the same shape).

To make these inversions major, just raise the 3rd:

Code:
    D    D  D    D  D   etc...
e|--12p9----12p9----12p9----12p9----
b|-------10------10------10------10-
g|----------------------------------

root position

e|--17p12----17p12----17p12----
b|--------14-------14-------14-
g|-----------------------------

1st inversion

e|--9p5---9p5---9p5---9p5---
b|------5-----5-----5-----5-
g|--------------------------

I'm playing these as triplets, btw, which is the most common way to play these shapes.

So now lets add a note on the g string to each of these shapes to make them 3 string arpeggios:

Code:
A minor 3 string sweep 2nd inversion

U    U  D D  D U    U  D D  D
e|--12p8---------8-12p8---------8-
b|-------10---10--------10---10---
g|----------9--------------9------
d|--------------------------------

root position

e|--17p12----------12-17p12----------12-
b|--------13----13----------13----13----
g|-----------14----------------14-------
d|--------------------------------------

1st inversion

e|--8p5-------5-8p5-------5-
b|------5---5-------5---5---
g|--------5-----------5-----
d|--------------------------

aaaaand raise the 3rd to make them major:

Code:
A major 3 string sweep 2nd inversion

U    U  D D  D U    U  D D  D
e|--12p9---------9-12p9---------9-
b|-------10---10--------10---10---
g|----------9--------------9------
d|--------------------------------

root position

e|--17p12----------12-17p12----------12-
b|--------14----14----------14----14----
d|--------------------------------------

1st inversion

e|--9p5-------5-9p5-------5-
b|------5---5-------5---5---
g|--------6-----------6-----
d|--------------------------

I usually stop here and make sure my students are comfortable with 2 and 3 string shapes before moving them onto 5 string ones, usually giving them stuff to work on from either exercises I've written out, or excerpts from songs (old Yngwie tracks are teeming with them, some of my favorites are the arp sections from Rising Force, Trilogy Suite, Demon Driver, and Liar).

but for the curious (and for all I know, whoever reads this already has all this shit down already anyway ;)) here are the 5 string versions of these shapes:

Code:
A minor 5 string sweep 2nd inversion

U    U  U U  U  D    D  D D  D
e|--12p8-------------------------8-
b|-------10-------------------10---
g|----------9---------------9------
d|------------10---------10--------
a|---------------12-7h12-----------
E|---------------------------------

root position

e|--17p12----------------------------12-
b|--------13----------------------13----
d|--------------14----------14----------
a|-----------------15-12h15-------------
E|--------------------------------------

1st inversion

e|--8p5------------------5-
b|------5--------------5---
g|--------5-----------5----
d|----------7-------7------
a|------------7-3h7--------
E|-------------------------

and 5 string major arps:

Code:
A major 5 string sweep 2nd inversion

U    U  U U  U  D    D  D D  D
e|--12p9-------------------------9-
b|-------10-------------------10---
g|----------9---------------9------
d|------------11---------11--------
a|---------------12-7h12-----------
E|---------------------------------

root position

e|--17p12----------------------------12-
b|--------14----------------------14----
d|--------------14----------14----------
a|-----------------16-12h16-------------
E|--------------------------------------

1st inversion

e|--9p5-------------------5-
b|------5---------------5---
g|--------6-----------6-----
d|----------7-------7-------
a|------------7-4h7---------
E|--------------------------

Hope all that helps somewhat. The real fun starts when you get into mixing up 2 3 and 5 string shapes in the middle of a sequence (check out Becker for great examples of this, particularly the song Altitudes and of course Serrana).