Sweeps and such..

ChromeLife

askew
Oct 24, 2001
Atlanta, GA
I have played guitar for about 6 years now, but I spent alot of that time not practicing correctly, and certainly not learning lead. I started lead about a year ago and am working really hard at it. One technique im having a very hard time getting down is sweeps. It has been hard for me to find a good practice technique for them, and its very frustrating.. any advice on getting better at them would be very appreciated.. thanks..:)

Just take it slow, it takes time. The first sweeping exercise I learned was the intro to Smoke and Mirrors. Once I got that down(it took along time), all of MR's other sweeped passages came pretty easily(well, a helluva lot easier). The key is going slow and being persistent.

I found some pretty good sweep lessons that are pretty easy. Go to www.powertabs.net (you need to download the program but its very good), then go to lessons. One guy made a 3 step program for sweeps, for beginners, intermediates, and experts. I'm doing the beginner one now, its cool when you start doing melodies :)

---------------------7-8--------------------------------------------------
------------------8-------8--------------------------------------------------
---------------9-------------9--------------------------------------------
-----5-9-10------------------10-9-5-----------------------------------
--7-------------------------------------7------------------------------------
8------------------------------------------7-8-------------------------------
d d d u d d d d u u u d u u u u d

I find this Cmaj7 sweep arpeggio ala Gambale very good for practicing.