Sweetwater Creation Stations

ForefrontStudio

Micah Amstutz
Jan 1, 2009
NE Ohio
are they worth the money? I am in need for a new computer, and the idea of getting one specificly built for audio recording appeals to me greatly. but on the flip side, I also have a $3k credit limit through dell. so I am inclined to think, could I just order a custom built pc through dell that would have just as much power and stability for less $$$? I'd have to get a firewire card to two though. or does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm really fond of the idea of quad processors. I'd like at least 4-6 gb or ram too. I just really want a computer thay I can "grow into"

this is the one I'm thinking about nabbing:
http://www.sweetwater.com/creation_station/csrackxt.php

ok. time for a stupid question.... if I use a mac and run cubase, can I use vst's? or are vst's windows based? I always thought the difference was the DAW program, not the platform... am I wrong?

ok. time for a stupid question.... if I use a mac and run cubase, can I use vst's? or are vst's windows based? I always thought the difference was the DAW program, not the platform... am I wrong?

There are Windows VSTs and Mac VSTs, you can't use a Windows version of a plugin on a Mac and vise versa. Cubase on a Mac does support VSTs of course! You just need to make sure you get the Mac VST.

There are Windows VSTs and Mac VSTs, you can't use a Windows version of a plugin on a Mac and vise versa. Cubase on a Mac does support VSTs of course! You just need to make sure you get the Mac VST.

+1
Also with a Mac you get the use of all the Logic-based AU (Audio Unit) plugins. Though, I have no clue whether or not there is a way to use those with Cubase. However, you would have all the plugins either way. They are usually already installed on any Mac you purchase. I use Pro Tools and Reaper. PT, of course, only supports RTAS, but Reaper supports VST and AU, so I've been using Reaper for Mixing a lot lately.

The one thing I cannot stress enough is that IF you decide to buy a Mac, MAKE SURE you buy the Apple Care Protection Plan along with it. It's just about the best warranty-coverage in the business.... unthinkable not to get it.

I have very little experience with a mac. but I am VERY comfortable on a PC. I've been building them since I was 12 (although I am much better with software than hardware). the main thing for me is I just want something I am comfortable with, and something I can use a lot of free plugins with. a lot of the plugins I use now are free vst's I downloaded, and a lot of them are vst only... although that's probably not reason enough to stick with PC over MAC...

For the $ of the creation station I would build or run a mac dual boot. That's just me. FWIW I built a machine comparable to the CS you linked (Asus mobo, i7, 8gb of RAM, 2x500gB HD's) in a regular case for under $1200 including buying the OS several months back.