Saffire Pro 40 not working on new PC

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hey guys I just got a new PC computer and my Saffire Pro 40 isn't working right. I had to install a PCIe firewire card since my MOBO didn't have one built in (2011 v3). I installed the mix control and drivers for it. I also made sure to update windows. My computer shows its reading the Saffire. You can click on it in devices to engage it as the default soundcard. It's listed in devices(unknown devices). Problem is I'm not getting any sound from it. WHen I go to open Mixcontrol it says "No Hardware Connected". The Saffire Pro 40 works fine on my old computer so I know it's not an issue with the unit itself. I tried connecting another firewire soundcard (Presonus Firebox) and I can get sound from it but it's terribly distorted. Anyone know what the problem is?

It's a Siig DP firewire 2-Port PCle card. It's the TI chipset that Focusrite says to use. Other people with the same card and Win7 have gotten their Saffire Pro 40s to work. How do you set drivers to legacy? I remember doing something like that and it said to pick the manufactorer from a list but nothing showed up. Both the firewire card and the Saffire show up in devices as working properly.

Maybe you hot plugged it? I managed to fuck my profire up like that.

Edit: probably not if you're having issues with other cards

It's listed in devices(unknown devices).

That looks like a driver issue.

It should be listed under Devices / Sound, video and game controllers

You could also try the legacy driver. You would go to the firewire card in device manager and click on update driver, select from list, and choose the legacy one.

It's not messed up because it works on my old computer. It shows up in devices/sound. The firewire card shows up too. I'm thinking its an issue with the firewire card and my MOBO because my other firewire interface (firebox) also does not work.

okay went to legacy drivers for the firewire card and it now loads mix control. All the lights are green like normal. Still not getting any sound though. I don't get any playback of any audio. I don't get it...

Thats the settings in Mixcontrol and your daw. I use reaper but I would say its the same as I use Renoise too and that has the same setting. Heres two pictures of what my settings are....

Daw%20settings.JPG

Mix%20control.JPG

what version of mixcontrol do you have? Yours looks a bit different. Also I don't get any playback for anything. If I go to play a music file via win media player or a youtube video, it does not playback. It's fine when I use my usb interface though.

Ok. So Ive upgraded to 3.4 just so we might be on the same page. You need to set your default sound device to Saffire on your PC to get any sound out of it...........
Sound%20devices.JPG
Like this. Then Ive made a preset for you to try........https://www.dropbox.com/s/htjidv9s909v8ku/Front 1 and 2.pro14?dl=0 Although its a pro14 file so im unsure it will work but its worth a shot anyway. Ive also taken a snapshot of my new settings ...Mixcontrol....
Mixcontrol1.JPG
and my DAW....
Daw%20settings%201.JPG

Which PC OS are you using and which DAW?

I do set it to default sound device. Problem is it doesnt even playback audio correctly. Even visually I see something wrong in Windows Media Player. The seeker doesnt make progress like it should. It takes several seconds to make 1 second go by. I am using a PC built by cyberpowerPC. i7-5820k 3.30GHz,16 gig RAM, AsRock X99 Extreme 6 MOBO(2011v3). Using Win7 Pro 64bit with Cubase 6.5.5 64bit. I went back to the updated drivers for the firewire card and now it doesn't load mix control at all. Says "No Hardware Connected". With the legacy drivers for the firewire card it did load mix control but other than that the same issues were present. I've contacted Focusrite tech support. They are slow as hell but I've been going back and forth with them. So far just using some scanner tools they've sent to me and gave them the results. Thanks for the help though.