Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Opinions?

Did you get the Pro 40 in the end? After my Fireface 400 crapped out, I'm again on the hunt for an interface, and currently the Pro 40 is my main choice (on Win 7 64-bit).

Just spotted this bump now :)

Yeah, I got the Saffire Pro 40, been rocking it for about 6 months now and its solid. The instrument input is nice and clean, the preamps have plenty of gain and the drivers are solid right down at the smallest buffer sizes. the only minor niggle was that my DVD drive (a gammy dell "cheapest thing we could find on the day" kind of thing) was causing conflicts with the saffire driver, which would mean some stuttering on lower buffers. took a while to figure it out, but i've got the DVD drive disabled now and it all works fine.

When I contacted Focusrite about it they'd never heard of it happening before, must be just whatever obscure shitty DVD drive I have.

Anyway, full recommendation, no regrets, would buy again.

Hey guys, Reaper recognizes my Saffire in the Audio Device Settings, but whenever I click on "Asio Configuration..." nothing pops up.
Can anyway explain why it's doing that or not suppose to?

You know 3/4 of you guys are fucking tards right ......lol

Ok here is the BOTTOM LINE on the Saffire vs the M-Audio.....

Saffire = Cleaner pre's more latency by about 1.5ms when set up properly with the latest drivers. Any of you idiots say you can hear 1.5 ms latency is a fucking retard, and you probably claim to have a 15 inch pecker too. Less driver issues then the M-Audio. MUCH more routing functionality then the M-Audio.

M-Audio = Not as good pre's but still good, and still better then the DIGI. Less latency then the Saffire, not as many routing options, more drivers issues then Saffire.

So it comes down to this, if you need cleaner pre's and more routing to external gear go with the Saffire. If you dont need the routing and dont mind dealing with driver issues get a Profire.

This is not bias, its FACT. Ask any Saffire owner on this board if they have driver issues. Then ask any M-Audio user. I am willing to bet $100 that the pro fire users have WAYYYY more issues then us Saffire users.

Now that being said ...

I own a Pro 40 and I will probably never change to another interface in my life. The Pre's are 100% transparent to my ears, I can re-amp with out a re-amp box without any issues, and the driver stability has been PERFECT in XP, Win7, and Vista. I cant comment on Mac drivers because I don't own one.

Finally ... who in their right mind records drums with the samples on to as they record. That's just pointless, and a waste of CPU and can just lead to problems. Ermin .... I love you dude, but I call bullshit on this man. Why in the living fuck would you track drums with the samples running and monitor it that way in the DAW? What if a sample mis-triggers and you dont notice it? You telling me you go back afterward and fix all that shit ... WHY! Record the drums listen to the natural drum sound and you can re-do whatever needs fixing. Thats ALOT easier then trying to edit shit later on.

I just got my Saffire Pro 40 in today and I am stoked!! Only had time on my lunch break to install it in my rack and basically turn it on but I'm excited to get home and mess with it. Guru, do you find yourself utilizing the routing capabilities of the Mix Control software? It seems as though, from what I've read, that I could monitor through Cubase and not experience much latency at all. I want to utilize the unit to the fullest extent so I'm curious as to how you go about it.

I can re-amp with out a re-amp box

Wow I've never tried that with the PRO 40! I was planning to buy a reamp box now you've saved me some money. Is there any issue with the amount of gain going into the amp? And if its too high will it blow the amp?

Technically you can re-amp without a re-amp box with any interface that has analog outputs. Whether it sounds good, is noisy, etc, depends. A re-amp box is ideal