switch craft patch bays?

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
getting tired of re-arranging my desk every record

anyone think switch craft make good patch bays?

on a side note: anyone have any tips for pro tools rack strategy? basically what i mean is, putting computer / pro tools interface / pre's you dont touch much / other crap in a rack set off to the side (sound sealed to cut down machine noise, i track vocals in the control room)

i've been trying to think of the most important peices to put in there, the ones i wont need much access too, other than on drum day or something. maybe if some of you have already set this up before you could offer experience advice?

I would definitely look into the Sub-D/snake type of patchbay. They are a lot more expensive, but the cabling is so much neater than using 10 million individual XLR or 1/4" cables going everywhere.

I have a few old-school switchcraft patchbays that took me days to solder the snakes to them. Never again...

But yeah, patchbays are badass. They save you TONS of time.

ive been looking into the ssl xpatch or whatever its called, looks kinda cool, you could patch your patch bays into it, so you can patch while you patch

my basic understanding of it is, you can program whats going to each i/o and then it comes up as an insert in pt

i dunno about the xpatch

something about the fact of only being able to control the rrouting via java isn't cool with me

maybe its because digidesign tells you "if you don't want pops and clicks, disable all networking...

sounds like cubase heaven, though

ive used the studiospares ones tons.
theyre great.
the samson s patch and neutrik ones are also great.
the switchcraft ones look like a nightmare.....

Generally i'd wire it ....(top to bottom) oh and normalled (just get three patch bays)

Wallbox 1-24
Preamp inputs 1-24
Preamp outs 1-24
192 ins 1-24
192 outs 1-24
whatever i.e compressor ins and outs.

you better believe it.
I fucking hate bantam patchbays. make life difficult.and expensive

How does it make life difficult? The specific one I picked has absolutely ZERO soldering, switchable normals from the top panel, and it's TT connectors which are way more secure and take up less space the TRS....

I don't get it.

getting tired of re-arranging my desk every record

anyone think switch craft make good patch bays?

on a side note: anyone have any tips for pro tools rack strategy? basically what i mean is, putting computer / pro tools interface / pre's you dont touch much / other crap in a rack set off to the side (sound sealed to cut down machine noise, i track vocals in the control room)

i've been trying to think of the most important peices to put in there, the ones i wont need much access too, other than on drum day or something. maybe if some of you have already set this up before you could offer experience advice?

Passive patchbays cost so little money as price difference between Behringer PX3000 and Neutrik NYS-SPP-L1 is like 8€ and the neutrik one costs mere 44€, so why save there?

How does it make life difficult? The specific one I picked has absolutely ZERO soldering, switchable normals from the top panel, and it's TT connectors which are way more secure and take up less space the TRS....

I don't get it.

its only because when I feelance and go into studios, I bring in some of my own pres/comps etc, and wiring that into a Bantam patchbay would be a nightmare without buying a xlr/dsub/bantam cable which costs about a million pounds. ;-)

Trs patchbays, use xlr to trs which i already have.. plug in...done.

Bantam are just fine in a static installation, but if you have to switch things round quickly trs is far more convenient.

Had to make a few trs-bantam and xlr-bantam cables.... oh the fun.
And Bantam patch leads are more expensive WTF!

XZIBIT-yo-dawg-I-heard-you-like-patchbays-so-i-put-a-patchbay-in-your-patchbay-so-you-can-patch-while-you-patch.jpg