switching from Cubase to Studio One or Cakewalk

atoragon

Nov 22, 2010
atoragon.blogspot.com
hello! I have always used the cubase-nuendo interface, but now that I'm thinking to upgare my daw, I'm looking at the prices, and for what I need (i may also need to manage 100+ tracks projects), the new cubase is too expensive (599$).
I'm thinking about presonus studio one producer (99$) due to its very good price, and the fact that it seems to have everything: unlimited tracks and virtual instruments. Same for Cakewalk Sonar x3 (99$).
Does anyone of you have it? Is it easy and stable even with big projects? Is it heavy on the cpu? How is it in terms of midi editing? Is the interface totally different from cubase?
Do they have all the features cubase has?

thanks in advance

i used cubase from 2002 until 2012 and then switched to studio one, and i have never looked back.

to me, studio one, is what cubase should have evolved into eventually.

some will say one daw is superior to another, but in the end, the just play your wav files :)

I onyl rarely use midi.

for some writing drums, so im not the one to ask.

but its similar to cubase, coming from cubase myself i feel to restraints in the Little midi i use.

reaper is a great program too, i have used it to record.

But in the end i chose studio one.

For me it was the mastering workflow and melodyne integration along with the drag n drop.

i have never had problems with cubase crashes whatsoever. anyway i really dig the presonus drag and drop interface, it's so much easier. I'm also really curious of the cakewalk sonar's channel strips, which seems really nice. Does anyone has any experience with it?

While Cubase is a powerful all-in-one package with VariAudio, AmpRack and so on, the price is pretty high, considering that you might not even need some of these tools. So when talking about bang for a buck I can't say enough good words about Reaper. It has a bunch of good stock plugins, fully customizable interface, layout and behavior. If you invest some time into configuring all the custom actions, hotkeys, templates, your workflow can be really fast and smooth allowing for the FUN to happen in making music. And the best thing that made me fall in love with it - A TRACK IS A TRACK. No MIDI/Bus/Aux/Virtual Instrument/Mono/Stereo tracks. It's genius.

Sorry for sounding like an advert, but I really think everyone should at least try Reaper to help it gain more weight in the DAW market therefore giving the developers more reasons to compete with monsters such as Pro Tools and Cubase.

Reaper is a good software, but i wanted something "next gen", which means more user friendly, a better gui, quicker to setup and route, and with the characteristics of next gen daws, which reaper and cubase 5 don't have. Plus studio one producer now costs only 99$ and has basically everything.

@atoragon I suggest you to watch some Reaper tutorials, If you haven't already. Uber-flexible and simple routing is one of the Reaper's killer-features. Basically you either drag and drop track's IO icon and that's it.
User-friendly - yeah, it might need some "getting into". Took me about 2 days to learn basic hot-keys and concepts.
GUI - there are tons of awesome themes and layout configs that can mimic almost any other DAW. I personally like the default theme, but just take a look at this: http://www.houseofwhitetie.com/reaper/imperial/wt_imperial.html